Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fujinon 125mm f/5.6 W (old version)

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Fujinon 125mm f/5.6 W (old version)

To the original question of sharpness of the single-coated "inside lettering" 125mm Fujinon-W...

This is one of my most frequently used lenses on 4x5, the other being my 180mm Fujinon-A. When looking at 11x14 finished prints I've never felt I was losing anything in the sharpness department with the 125mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    The 105/8 NSW is a nice compromise in a Copal 0 shutter, although it does require 77mm filters. I have one of the later EBC multicoated models and it's excellent.
    I had forgotten about the Fuji NSW 105mm. Thanks for mentioning it. It's a great lens, but it's large, heavy, f8, and would break MY bank -- and probably my back, too! It's larger, heavier, and more expensive than the Fujinon 90mm f8.
    Last edited by xkaes; 6-Jan-2022 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I had forgotten about the Fuji NSW 105mm. Thanks for mentioning it. It's a great lens, but it's large, heavy, f8, and would break MY bank!
    Wow. I was going to disagree with you, since I bought my SW 105mm (previous version, inside lettering) a couple years ago for $73 in near perfect shape. But I just checked the bay, and either I got a screaming deal, or prices have gone through the roof in a year and a half. It is my standard wide, when I want a modern 4x5 wide with a generous amount of movement (I shoot the 100mm WFE when I don't need that.)

Drew Wiley

This is really a weird year on the Bay. At typical holiday seasons in the past, vendors reduced prices to move inventory quicker. But this year all kinds of things are almost in the Kuiper Belt price-wise, way way out there. Ridiculous, actually. I suspect the lemmings are just following each other; and if nobody bites, the whole trend will go right back down, with the exception of a few inevitably over-rated cult lenses. Timing is everything, along with current exchange rates. Might do better right here, down in the wanted section.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    Wow. I was going to disagree with you, since I bought my SW 105mm (previous version, inside lettering) a couple years ago for $73 in near perfect shape. But I just checked the bay, and either I got a screaming deal, or prices have gone through the roof in a year and a half. It is my standard wide, when I want a modern 4x5 wide with a generous amount of movement (I shoot the 100mm WFE when I don't need that.)
    You lucked out for sure. The last EBAY sale was $350 -- and that was the SW single-coated model, not the NSW version. I hope that makes your day!

@all

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I have Chamonix F2 which I didn't actually plan to buy, as I wanted something cheapish with 6x7 back and 90-105mm lens but that didn't pan out as I wasn't really sold on the idea of changing bellows and dealing with the recessed board. Maybe with Chamonix that doesn't need to be the case but still 90mm on 4x5 seems very wide to me.
    Anyway, one reason I was thinking about 120 was that it seemed "right" in the viewfinder app while looking around a few rooms with people in them, compared to 150mm where I didn't have more space to go backward.
    There is also Fujinon 120mm f8 which is kinda cheap but i haven't found any reviews on it.
    Btw I am aware that price and quality are strongly correlating but still hoping for some unreasonably cheap/good lens

Quote Originally Posted by Times2 View Post
    @all
    There is also Fujinon 120mm f8 which is kinda cheap but i haven't found any reviews on it.
    The SW 120mm f8 is harder to find but because it has a 100 degree angle of coverage it is large and heavy and usually not cheap! It should cost just a little less than the NSW 125mm f8 -- which is very similar except no EBC coating.

Btw I am aware that price and quality are strongly correlating but still hoping for some unreasonably cheap/good lens
    I have and use a FUJI 120mm f/8 lens on my whole format Chamonix and it covers the whole plate format with a beautifully sharp image.

Fujinon replaced the 120mm f8 SW with the 125mm f8 NSW, lettering on the lens barrel. Image circle not large enough for 8x10, does work good on 5x7 and smaller formats. Both Schneider 120mm f8 Super Angulon and Nikkor 120mm f8 SW ~just covers~ 8x10 stopped down just past f22.

Question again, is this large an image circle really needed for 4x5 or 6x7 roll film? Here is what the Fujinon 125mm f8 NSW, Fujinon 105mm f8 SW and a 127mm f4.7 Kodak Ektar (just covers 4x5) looks like in the same picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	125mm, 105mm f8 Fuji. 127mm f4.7 Ektar side view.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	223187

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	125mm, 105mm f8 Fuji. 127mm f4.7 Ektar top view.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	223188

The Kodak Ektar will produce better images at f8 than both Fujinon wide angle lenses at f8. The Ektar is much smaller and much brighter on the GG being full aperture at f4.7. Either Fujinon f8 wide angle lenses are going to be HUGE relative to a Chamonix light weight field folder. Do-able, yes, rational choice to go with the Fujinon f8 wide angle lenses, depends on your image goals. What is fact, the Fujinon f8 wide angle lenses are NOT a good choice for 6x7 roll film, while the 127mm f4.7 Kodak Ektar would be an excellent choice (as would the Fujinon 125mm f5.6 W or similar modern plasmat from any of the big four), why?

As for bargain view camera lenses, times have changed due to the growing popularity of this view camera stuff. There was a time 10-15 years ago when film camera stuff was being dumped on the market en-mass at remarkable $. Far less so today due to the current interest and fashion of view camera. Yet, it is all relative. Consider one sheet of color 4x5 film cost about $5-6, one sheet of B&W 4x5 film cost about $2-3 per sheet, processing not included.
    This adds up to the $ of a good lens and view camera and all related pretty fast. IMO, focus on making images, chose the tools (lenses, camera and all related) needed to accomplish the image goals then proceed.

Bernice

@all

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I have Chamonix F2 which I didn't actually plan to buy, as I wanted something cheapish with 6x7 back and 90-105mm lens but that didn't pan out as I wasn't really sold on the idea of changing bellows and dealing with the recessed board. Maybe with Chamonix that doesn't need to be the case but still 90mm on 4x5 seems very wide to me.
    Anyway, one reason I was thinking about 120 was that it seemed "right" in the viewfinder app while looking around a few rooms with people in them, compared to 150mm where I didn't have more space to go backward.

Drew Wiley

It's already been indicated that a lightweight wooden folder camera is involved. That makes any kind of big heavy lens tricky for the front standard to reliably support without vibration. An important factor to consider!