Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fujinon 125mm f/5.6 W (old version)

Re: Fujinon 125mm f/5.6 W (old version)

My filter size is 77mm, but I still don't like the 67mm size on the CM-W lenses. Why? Because instead of just a filter size, they built in lens shades which makes many of the lenses much larger / longer than they needed to be. Whether using an NW or CM-W 105mm, I need a step-up ring to 77mm, but the CM-W 67mm HOOD makes a tiny lens much larger than necessary. So they didn't make things any more convenient for me, as I have to buy step-up rings whatever filter size they chose -- but I live with it because the CM-W 105mm gives me 12mm more IC than the narrow NW version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	223726

Above is a comparative photo of 3 different 120-125mm lenses. On the left is a Schneider 120mm/6.8 Angulon, an older design that covers 5x7, but barely so. It has good coverage and decent sharpness over the 4x5 negative but the outer ring of that coverage isn't quite as sharp as either of the Fujinons. Still, it's small and works well enough.

The middle lens is a Fujinon 125/5.6 NW series, a multicoated 76 degree coverage model with a 55mm front filter ring (the last NW version has a 52mm front filter.) It doesn't quite cover 5x7 but coverage is quite ample on 4x5. It's small, convenient, very sharp, and easy to focus.

The right side lens is an original model Fujinon 120mm/8 SW super wide angle. The front filter is 77mm, the rear element is 80mm diameter. The single-coated 120mm SW is a full stop dimmer when focusing than the small 125/5.6 NW. While quite adequately sharp with overkill coverage, the original 120/8 SW super-wide Fujinon is not quite as crisp as either the smaller 125NW in the middle or the 120 SW's follow-on, the 125mm NSW super-wide (EBC multicoated, outside writing on lens barrel), which is even larger, with 82mm filters. These large super-wide-angle lenses can be awkward and ungainly in the field, particularly on lighter 4x5 folding and field cameras. I use some, but only when really needed for larger formats than 4x5.

The original single-coated Fujinon Plasmats, the W series (writing inside on lens ring), are also very good. The lack of multicoating is not a deal-killer as you should be using a good adjustable lens shade in any event. The advantage for me for some early W models is their slightly larger field of coverage, about 8% larger diameter circle of coverage, making 135mm and longer lenses very usable on 5x7.

I do not see any significant practical image quality difference between any of the Fujinon Plasmat series, whether first W, mid-production NW, or the late model CM-W Fujinons, certainly not enough to justify spending a lot more money for a late-model CM-W unless its in impeccable condition.

Comparing my original single-coated Fujinon 250/6.7 W with my very late model 250mm/6.3 CM-W EBC multicoated model, I see no practical quality difference in actual use on 5x7. Comparing multiple copies of my original model single-coated 135/5.6 W Fujinons with multiple copies of later model Fujinon 125/5.6 NW and 150mm/5.6 NW lenses, again I see no significant difference between the oldest and the newer series Plasmat lenses.

YMMV if you're pixel-peeping at 16X.

Comparing all of these Fujinons to various late-model Schneider,, Nikkor and Rodenstock large format lenses, again no significant difference in practical use. It's more a matter of quality control at the factory - Fujinon had excellent quality control - and the physical condition of a particular lens copy.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the visual comparison. And I think my NSW 90mm f8.0 is a beast!!!