Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wollensak Velostigmat Series II lens question

Re: Wollensak Velostigmat Series II lens question

The Velostigmat is a Tessar-formula design. So in theory, this method would work with any Tessar design. In practice, who knows? It would depend, at least, on the physical design of the lens barrel in question.
    Long ago, I did own a 12"/4.5 Velostigmat with the soft-focus ring. But in those days, soft-focus was completely out of style, and I never tried it. So it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    The Velostigmat is a Tessar-formula design. So in theory, this method would work with any Tessar design. In practice, who knows? It would depend, at least, on the physical design of the lens barrel in question.
    Long ago, I did own a 12"/4.5 Velostigmat with the soft-focus ring. But in those days, soft-focus was completely out of style, and I never tried it. So it goes!
    Mark,

My lens is a Tessar formula.
    Will give it a try & report back

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    The Velostigmat is a Tessar-formula design. So in theory, this method would work with any Tessar design. In practice, who knows?
    Best luck that I ever had was combining the front set of elements from one 210mm lens and the rear set of elements from another brand 210mm lens... Using that mongrel lens wide open produced a wonderful image, but stopping down the lens and the "soft-focus" effect was lost. My first optic for my 8x10 back in the 1970s was a 12"/4.5 Velostigmat with the soft-focus ring. Ironically back then never used its soft-focus potential.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    Rehashing an old thread, What is the difference between a Velostigmat II 12 inch 4.5 that does not have the soft focus ring and a Velostigmat 12 inch 4.5?
    The difference is that the Velostigmat II 12 inch 4.5 that does not have the soft focus ring doesn't have the soft focus ring, while the Velostigmat 12 inch 4.5 with the soft focus ring does have the soft focus ring. That's about it, they're otherwise the same lenses.

As already said, increasing the spacing between the front two elements increases spherical aberration, creating the soft focus effect. This can be done with any Tessar lens, but the faster the better, as smaller apertures decrease the soft focus effect on any design of soft lens. Usually it's done by removing the front trim ring and front element, adding a spacer, and reassembling, but you'll need a lens with sufficient excess threads in front to allow the front element to be moved forward.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    The difference is that the Velostigmat II 12 inch 4.5 that does not have the soft focus ring doesn't have the soft focus ring, while the Velostigmat 12 inch 4.5 with the soft focus ring does have the soft focus ring. That's about it, they're otherwise the same lenses.

As already said, increasing the spacing between the front two elements increases spherical aberration, creating the soft focus effect. This can be done with any Tessar lens, but the faster the better, as smaller apertures decrease the soft focus effect on any design of soft lens. Usually it's done by removing the front trim ring and front element, adding a spacer, and reassembling, but you'll need a lens with sufficient excess threads in front to allow the front element to be moved forward.
    I’m sure I wasn’t clear, I now will have two 12 in 4.5 velostigmats, one is a focus 2 with no diffuser and the other is just a velostigmat ( not the focus 2)
    My question is, what’s the difference between these two lenses, if any? Sorry, I haven’t seen it explained anywhere.

Same lens design with progressively less engraving on the lens itself.

The original text on the lens read “Wollensak Velostigmat Series II F4.5 No XXXXXX Focus 12 inches”. The word “Focus” was dropped in the late 1930s or early 1940s. The “Series II” engraving was dropped shortly before the name change to Raptar in 1947. Price lists and catalogs continued to refer to the 4.5 Tessar as the Series II even after the lenses no longer bore that engraving.
    Last edited by Whir-Click; 9-Mar-2023 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    Same lens design with progressively less engraving on the lens itself.

The original text on the lens read “Wollensak Velostigmat Series II F4.5 No XXXXXX Focus 12 inches”. The word “Focus” was dropped in the late 1930s or early 1940s. The “Series II” engraving was dropped shortly before the name change to Raptar in 1947. Price lists and catalogs continued to refer to the 4.5 Tessar as the Series II even after the lenses no longer bore that engraving.
    Thanks for that answer, that's what I was afraid of, now I have two lenses that are the same and not really what I wanted. Oh well!