Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 510 Pyro 1 Hour Stand

Re: 510 Pyro 1 Hour Stand

I'll stick with my tried and true trays.

Sometimes a positive outlier result causes a whole lot of angst among viewership encouraged to go down this road. The suggestion of doing a proper analysis to adequately test the process is the correct one. Like many respondents my first reaction when I heard the one hour stand with no agitation was "this is not going to end well". Go figure.....

Its worth burning a 4x5 sheet of film to try it. Pick a subject with full range of tones and take two shots same exposure. Develop one normally and one diluted for stand. Contact print both and decide if the approach works for you. Picking a dilution is the part where you are likely to fail initially.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Its worth burning a 4x5 sheet of film to try it. Pick a subject with full range of tones and take two shots same exposure. Develop one normally and one diluted for stand. Contact print both and decide if the approach works for you. Picking a dilution is the part where you are likely to fail initially.
    Clearly, if one wants to give it a go as you stated, there is no harm in that. However when you get the results back I would just mention that there are two substantive issues that fly in the face of trying to get beyond the initial test IMHO. The first is the know fact that there are developers such as catchetol based pyrocat and Rodinal that have been proven to work with stand or semi stand development and data with which to use from other users as a starting point. Conventional pyro has a storied history of leaving a litany of adverse artifacts on the negative because it is a highly energetic developer that mandates consistent movement with tray development being the optimal development process. The key here is repeatable results and the assurance that it will handle highlights such as clear skies which is where I would bet my last dollar is where the rubber meets the road on this test.