Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

I just picked up one of these as the transparency light on my V850 has packed it in, and it's proving difficult to get it fixed ... so, the reason the 4990 are going so cheap is that there are no drivers for them for recent Windows or MacOS, you need old macos (10.x) or old Windows to use it; of course you could run one in a VM, if you really had to. There is a driver/app for Linux that works, it's pretty basic but will do me for now, though I'll give vuescan a go per the suggestion above.

Mine came without the mounts, I was hoping someone could tell me what the height of the negative above the scanner glass is with these mounts (the V850 wet mount glass fits on perfectly, just want to make sure it's not too off distance wise).

I bought my V700 nearly 10 years ago, I never turn it off

I have yet to clean the inside bottom glass, I have almost no dust in my scans

Running Vuescan now on Win 10 and iMac 24 latest

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Used Epson scanner is a wise choice as Ari said. But it looks like there is no drivers for Windows 10 for older Epson models.
    One can find an older computer for older, legacy software. I purchased about a 2009 version of a Mac Pro, and it's been an excellent computer. It runs the High Sierra software, though I also have Snow Leopard running on it. (Two different hard disk drives, one for each operating system.)

I have I Works for word processing, and if needed, a spreadsheet, and Creative Suite 4 for Photoshop. This lets me bypass any cloud software, which I disdain. (And for good reason.)

Agreed, I bought a 2009 Mac Mini for a pittance. It has an SSD and 8Gb RAM, plenty for any scanner.
    It runs the 4990 and will run the IQSmart 2 (when I can go and get it), and is about as fast as my main computer.
    Keep other software out of the scanner computer, just use it for scanning or downloads, and it will last a long time, while being extremely efficient.

I have no desire to ever again use 'Legacy' software or computer

Nor use anything except the 2 dominant OS

I have all my hard drives from the last 25 years, most are now useless, but safe in my possession

I look forward to using my thoughts to operate my computer, hopefully they include a camera, so I can see too

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    One can find an older computer for older, legacy software. I purchased about a 2009 version of a Mac Pro, and it's been an excellent computer. It runs the High Sierra software, though I also have Snow Leopard running on it. (Two different hard disk drives, one for each operating system.)

I have I Works for word processing, and if needed, a spreadsheet, and Creative Suite 4 for Photoshop. This lets me bypass any cloud software, which I disdain. (And for good reason.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I bought my V700 nearly 10 years ago, I never turn it off

I have yet to clean the inside bottom glass, I have almost no dust in my scans

Running Vuescan now on Win 10 and iMac 24 latest
    Why don;t you shut it off?

I am using an old Epson 4990 with a Mac running the current 64-bit OS. All you need to do is buy a copy of VueScan software, no need to run virtual anything. Years ago, when the Epson 700 series came out, the rep told me that the main difference from the 4990 was the light source, they had to switch since the older light source was no longer available. My point is that any of the older used Epsons will be fine for your purpose.

That's true, Vuescan will work with a contemporary Mac.
    I prefer Epson Scan, and I already had the Mini, so the issue was settled for me.

My sister just got one of these, but no report yet on how good it is. She just wants to archive old photos so hi quality isn't a high priority for her. But it might work out OK if you aren't using it to make top quality large prints.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_scanner.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    My sister just got one of these, but no report yet on how good it is. She just wants to archive old photos so hi quality isn't a high priority for her. But it might work out OK if you aren't using it to make top quality large prints.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_scanner.html
    The V39 only scans prints, not film.