Thread: Mattioli shutter

Mattioli shutter

Does anyone know much about the workings of Mattioli shutters? The one I have fires at one speed but the dial and knob at the right of this photo don't change anything. The knurled knob on the outside of the shutter ("reg du frein" brake regulator) looks as though it should turn but it's stuck tight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mattioli shutter.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	221961

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shutter b.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	221962

Re: Mattioli shutter

I have only the more primitive “Le Perpetuel” shutter by G.Mattioli - which is still working!
    It looks similar to the contemporary Italian and German shutters (LUC etc.) which have simple springs and not very intricate metal parts. Sounds like a opening up and lubrication may give it a second life. Take photos at many stages and dismantle over a broad soup dish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC36145E-05DA-466E-AD0C-092EE6F28788.jpg  

Re: Mattioli shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I have only the more primitive “Le Perpetuel” shutter by G.Mattioli - which is still working!
    It looks similar to the contemporary Italian and German shutters (LUC etc.) which have simple springs and not very intricate metal parts. Sounds like a opening up and lubrication may give it a second life. Take photos at many stages and dismantle over a broad soup dish.
    Steven, thanks for replying, you know so much about lenses and shutters from this era. I probably could manage a clean up, but I've put it off in case there's a Mattioli meister out there. This one came on a Balbreck ainé lens (pre fils) so it's not doing badly considering its age. If only everything lasted as well as a Mattioli shutter.

This shutter is quite a chunky object, "not so intricate" as you suggest. I do wonder what range of speeds should be available. It's firing at about 1/50th at present. The pneumatic piston sort of works, but it takes a really hard blast so that's not really usable.