Thread: Making collodion negatives for Salt Printing.

Making collodion negatives for Salt Printing.

In the past two weeks, I have been exploring options for making Salt Prints as an alternative to Albumen Prints, which I found very difficult to do well (it seems I was unable to find good quality eggs for making the albumen so the results were always less than great). But I have very quickly gotten a feel for making salt prints and find it easier to do. I've looked into making traditional film negatives, following Sandy King's advice on exposure/development to get an appropriately contrasty/dense neg for this purpose and I'm getting the hang of it now. But I am more comfortable with the Wet Plate Collodion process and am aware of how suitable it is for salt/albumen printmaking, so I'm making some test negatives in collodion to test with salt.

This is a scan of yesterday's negative, made on 5x7 glass, and redeveloped after washing to boost contrast/density. I think it has potential for salt printing. I'll prep some paper for tomorrow.

Made with my holey B&J 5x7 camera and Voigtlander f3.5 Petzval.

Re: Making collodion negatives for Salt Printing.

Wow, that's my goal, too. I've done some first trials with salt prints, and I've been doing wet plate since 2020, although with a bunch of problems most of the times. Now I'm trying to get salt prints from my wet plates, as the main problem I have with plates (tintypes, mostly) is their general darkness, compared to a paper print.

Foamer

I'm following this topic. I'd like to try it later this year.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Beautiful image. I am wanting to get started in wet plate and I'm just starting out in salt printing. I hope you post a followup. What was the article you referenced about Sandy King, negative density and salt printing?

Have you gotten Chris Anderson’s book Salted Paper Printing? It has a lot of information.
    BTW, when I did albumen printing, I used egg whites that came in a carton like a milk carton. I found them at my local big supermarket. Had to quit because I’m allergic to eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    Have you gotten Chris Anderson’s book Salted Paper Printing? It has a lot of information.
    BTW, when I did albumen printing, I used egg whites that came in a carton like a milk carton. I found them at my local big supermarket. Had to quit because I’m allergic to eggs.
    I do have Chris's book, yes. I acquired it shortly after making the above print. A very useful book!

hi Paul- just talking about you yesterday with Deborah Samuel, she is coming into my shop to visit and I realized we both have someone in common other than his brother Craig - that would be you.

if you follow Quinn Jacobson he has been working with collodion negatives. find him on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    hi Paul- just talking about you yesterday with Deborah Samuel, she is coming into my shop to visit and I realized we both have someone in common other than his brother Craig - that would be you.
    I'm not surprised you two know each other. I worked for Deb in the 1980s as her darkroom technician, and I learned a LOT during the two years I was with her. She's a great photographer and I have a lot of respect for her and her work. I have one of her pieces hanging in the house, and it was in fact printed by ME in the 80's!