Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gluing camera screws

Re: Gluing camera screws

Tighten the screw, then put a drop of Sally Hansen "advanced hard as nails" on the screw head and surrounding surface. It won't turn, but can be removed. Easier than using runny blue Locktite, but Locktite will do it. You'll be sorry if you use red on a small screw. A drop of acetone will dissolve it.
    Last edited by Kevin Crisp; 7-Dec-2021 at 18:48.

Drew Wiley

Re: Gluing camera screws

Interesting, Brian. Where I afterwards worked, and even that ex-NASA engineer himself did next, the biggest practical joker was the man in charge of the shop. You didn't want to mess with him. He was consistently no. 2 or 3 in the world as an arm wrestler, weighed around 300 pounds, was very smart, ran the union, and made about 600K a year. But he could shut everything down for a couple hours at a time if necessary borrowing the night shop staff to help him with some particularly ornery prank. He passed away from cancer a few years ago; but just yesterday I was back there visiting and reminiscing with the fellow now doing that job, one of his former assistants. We were talking at the exact spot I'm going to mention next, so that's why I remembered it :

One time a new company manager was appointed and feeling his oats, and wanted to establish his place at the top of the peck order, so had the nerve to approach this big fellow and tell him to assemble a new power lawnmower for him. He did so the next evening, then managed to get a big cherrypicker into the main store, and suspended that lawnmower by a cable just below the roof, which was forty feet up. The next morning, the manager walked in there, looked up, and got the point. Never messed with him again.

But in the upper floor of that Shop is where he and I first set up an extensive tool repair facility adjunct to my own buying role. Talk about every species of threadlok goo and O-ring and lubricant conceivable! (Only a modest exaggeration - there were a several thousand bins full of such things at least)
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 7-Dec-2021 at 14:10.