Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d printing lens boards

3d printing lens boards

So, my first 3d printer is in transit and will arrive shortly.

I guess it mostly will output dungeons and dragons figures to delight my son, but in-between I hope to perhaps print a lensboard or two for my Szabad 4x5. Width and height is the same as Technika III boards but they are much thicker.
    Is it feasible? And in that case has anyone any experience of witch filament to use for stability and opaqueness?
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

Re: 3d printing lens boards

I have had no experience with my making 3D boards, but I did barter with a model railroad enthusiast to have him make me two Sinar style boards. Filament composition definitely effects the rigidity of the board... my two had too much flex to be useable. Am looking into getting a 3D printer earlier next year in order to fabricate a bunch of parts. Am also looking for other's experiences and recommendations. Which 3D printer did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have had no experience with my making 3D boards, but I did barter with a model railroad enthusiast to have him make me two Sinar style boards. Filament composition definitely effects the rigidity of the board... my two had too much flex to be useable. Am looking into getting a 3D printer earlier next year in order to fabricate a bunch of parts. Am also looking for other's experiences and recommendations. Which 3D printer did you buy?
    I got a Flashforge Creator Pro 2. The dual extruder lured me .
    Just can't wait to dip my toes...

A friend printed some lensboards for me, both Sinar and Seneca which are square; different thicknesses, but that was an easy modification. The issue is the infill percentage - initially it was around 25%, then 50%. Both were not entirely light tight, so I put three coats of matt black paint on them which worked, now completely opaque. He also printed some 5x7 dark slides for me with 100% infill, but they were only a couple of millimetres thick, so also needed a couple of coats of paint.

Thingiverse has a design for a Technika style lensboard with a 40mm extension, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:114234 which might be of use.

I printed several Technica style lens boards from models you can find on Thingverse on my Flashforge Creator Pro using PLA filament and 90-100% infill setting.

Also I designed and printed boards for Sinar, Arca Swiss 110x110mm, Busch Pressman.

Nowadays I mainly print with PETG filament. I highly recommend buying bendable print bed from Flashforge website, it allows easier removal of printed models from the build surface.

Here is a top-hat Sinar board to mount Verito 11.5”

I bought some Technika lens boards of ebay. Some fibre filament. Not perfect stiff, but for lenses in shutters they will do. No light coming through.
    If you need more rigid lens board there is always possible to make the quite a bit stronger without adding much weight.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

3d printing lens boards

I print a lot of boards. I tested about 30+ filaments over the years (out of curiosity) using a densitometer. Any black ABS is usually the most opaque. Black PLA is often decent but warps in summer sun. Black PETG is my favorite, but some is too transparent, and designs need to be thick enough to overcome the flex and ensure opacity. Let me check my notes…..

But the advantage of the flex is that you can screw lens threads into it directly. Circles become polygons so there’s a little bit of bite built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have about 15 home made printed lens boards. They work fine. All printed in black PLA at 100% infill. Aim for at least 3mm thickness, for opacity.

PETG is my preferred filament due to UV and heat resistance. I use 3D printed boards quite a bit for Graflex, Calumet 6x6, and RB Graflex lens boards. The Cambo boards do not work so well, too much flex to fit properly. More stabilizers would need to be designed to make it work. I agree that 100% infill is best to ensure that the board is opaque. Spray paint can also work to make the finish black and matte.
    Last edited by kirkmacatangay; 24-Nov-2021 at 15:00. Reason: Added information.

Many thanks to all the insights and experiences. Printing lens boards seems to be doable.
    Printer has arrived and I will order some black PLA and PETG filaments to begin with.

Always fun to begin something unknown and try something new