Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Adams at the Getty

Robert Adams at the Getty

right tim, he seems very reticent too about the possiblity of his work making any change to the way that we are, and sees is more as an affirmation of life rather than an admonishon.

"We live in a largely visually illiterate society that does not appreciate established masters much less more conceptual artists like Robert Adams."

Well then I guess I fall in right along with them

"We live in a largely visually illiterate society that does not appreciate established masters much less more conceptual artists like Robert Adams."

I'd agree with Kirk on this, but opine that at the time people were ignoring the Ansel Adams/Georgia Okeefe exhibit, they would probably have spent more time in a room of Remingtons and Bierstadts. Today, they would walk out of the Robert Adams exhibit to spend time looking at Ansel Adams' work. Popular visual literacy seems to lag a few decades...

Regarding RA's technical capabilities, I think his prints are well-made and "perfectly adequate" for their purpose. I suspect he strove more for this than the grand-scale, tour-de-force print that shows off more what the photographer can do in the darkroom while getting in the way of whatever he might have been concerned about in the image.

As to global warming, I think it will be balance out by an impending nuclear winter, so everything will be just fine...

But Chris I presume you actually went in and looked at it and then decided that it was not your cup of tea and moved on to work which you appreciated. I am more talking about the people who don't even bother to really give something a look. If work doesn't scream intertainment at them they don't even see it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Help me learn to appreciate these

his printing is terrrrrrrible!!!!!!!!!!

More on the content later. Do you have permission to reproduce those?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

"More on the content later. Do you have permission to reproduce those?"

I see no copyright notices on the sites these were downloaded from.Now onto that content

Ok buddy, if you insist I did run into this on the site just now, and feel the use of these lovely, meaningful technically excellent images fall under the catagory of "criticism" and "commentary"

Fair Use is Permitted

Fair use of copyrighted material includes the use of protected materials for noncommercial educational purposes, such as teaching, scholarship, research, criticism, commentary, and news reporting. Unless otherwise noted, users who wish to download or print text and image files from MoCP’s Web site for such uses are welcome to do so without MoCP’s express permission. Users must cite the author and source of this material as they would material from any printed work; the citation should include the URL “http://www.mocp.org”.

By downloading, printing, or otherwise using text and image files from this Web site, users agree that they will limit their use of such files to fair use, and will not violate MoCP’s or any other party’s proprietary rights.

Reflecting on my previous comments, they were not intended to diminish the worth of Robert Adams' work. His message is not lost on me as I travel around this and neighboring countries. However, as Kirk suggests, it was not my cup of tea.

As to technique, I stand by my previous assessment although Mark makes a good point.