Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on De Vere 504 Cathomag Enlarger

Re: Advice on De Vere 504 Cathomag Enlarger

I will get the Ilford 500 for my 504 as you recommended. Thanks for advices.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Split grade printing with a color head would drive me nuts; dialing the filters in and out for every exposure.
    Quote Originally Posted by oliton View Post
    I'd go with the Ilford 500. Like ic-racer said, with a colour head split grade printing is no fun. Been there, done that.

The De Vere Cathomag is about G3.5 natively on MG papers. Not that difficult to use with MG filters, just requires a little lateral thinking.

The MG500 is good, but not any better than the Heiland LED - and the latter doesn't suffer from ageing electronics like the former. The care and feeding of an MG500 can be a frustrating experience.

The De Vere colour dichroic, multigrade dichroic or difcon heads are really the best option in terms of cost/ reliability - and you can use separate MG filters with them without much difficulty.

My first preference is for one of the 3 colour dichroics (MKIII & MKIV are 250w, MKV is 500w) and a set of Ilford filters (and possibly some separation filters too). Split grade printing is massively over-rated in general.

Has anyone purchase De Vere form Odyssey, John lately?

John helped me in July.
    I did get some parts that were worn/went missing during a move for my 504. He was fantastic, and replied quickly to my queries.

Quote Originally Posted by oliton View Post
    John helped me in July.
    I did get some parts that were worn/went missing during a move for my 504. He was fantastic, and replied quickly to my queries.
    I am waiting for Ilford Multigrade 500 and Negative Carrier 6x6 mask for my 504 from him. Hope they are arrive soon enough for me to enjoy them this holiday.

My De Vere 504 and Ilford 500 system arrived on 30th. Dec 2021. it looks good in my darkroom and works well. However; for 4x5 sheet film with 150mm Rodagon the exposure time is very short for 8x10" print, about 6 second @ f22. Mine 500H may have 2x300W. I am thinking about 2x150W replacements and I heard that these halogen bulbs do not last very long life, some spec. say 12hrs. some say 35hrs. it's better to have some spare ready for replacement. Can anyone recommend me where should I get the spare bulbs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7143.jpg