Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jeff Wall's New Show in Washington, DC

Re: Jeff Wall's New Show in Washington, DC

https://www.tvo.org/video/tvo-arts-a...-after-hokusai

A short video about Jeff Wall's "A sudden gust of wind (after hokusai)". It should be available for a limited time.

There is currently a Jeff Wall show at Gagosian in Beverly Hills if you can put up with the neighborhood.

Checked out the Glenstone Museum today and of course the Jeff Wall Exhibit. Some interesting images some problematic points. Some images worked very well and drew me in and made me ponder a bit and think.(Picture for Women, Staircase and Two Rooms) Other images had some glaring (to me) technical problems that distracted me.(Stumbling Block, A Sudden Gust of Wind..) At times I felt somewhat emotionally manipulated. I have a background in photography of course but also photo digital imaging and retouching. I also make my living making and installing large format images, so maybe I am a bit more critical of seams between panels, obvious photoshop manipulation and other oddities that took me out of the viewer mode and into technical critic mode. They also reminded me of Greg Crewdson, Cindy Sherman, Anna Gaskell, and a few other contemporary photo artists. Not that the company he keeps in my mind is a bad thing. Glad I went. Also go the the Glenstone Museum, it is very nice.

After I watched the TVO short I feel e is not Large Format, He is DIGITAL , Fully manipulated. A fantastic artist but Not Large Format. The use of 100 sheets of film and the extensive digital manipulation for over one year puts him in a different league that is Digital

Disagree

https://www.theartstory.org/artist/w...fe-and-legacy/

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    After I watched the TVO short I feel e is not Large Format, He is DIGITAL , Fully manipulated. A fantastic artist but Not Large Format. The use of 100 sheets of film and the extensive digital manipulation for over one year puts him in a different league that is Digital
    Tin Can

I see Jeff Wall as a consummate artist - passionately and thoughtfully driven to keep striving and moving forward…with whatever tools he finds necessary to support his evolving vision. So no matter that the intent, content, and process of Jeff Wall’s work feels completely different from my own - it is without hesitation that I say…Bravo!