Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: processing 20x24 film in a 3063 Jobo drum

Drew Wiley

Re: processing 20x24 film in a 3063 Jobo drum

I was wondering if Mt Diablo looks like that today after the hard storm last nite. My wife works near there, so would have seen it. You must have taken that shot from Briones Ridge?

Anyway, back to the topic. I have always thought Jobo drums ran too high an RPM for ideal film dev work. And internal ribs can be a real liability if they aren't smartly designed. I have my own system with a much stronger gear-motor reliable at lower RPM, dual-rotation, Plus, importantly, one offset driver roller to gently rock the drum up and down a little with each rotation, preventing rotation streaks. You can also increase the fluid volume in the drum to minimize surge marks, but that even further increases the cost of the chemistry. Another trick would be to just gently roll the drum back and forth on the sink bed and omit the Jobo machine entirely.

Ok, thank you, i will try it...

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I was wondering if Mt Diablo looks like that today after the hard storm last nite. My wife works near there, so would have seen it. You must have taken that shot from Briones Ridge?

Anyway, back to the topic. I have always thought Jobo drums ran too high an RPM for ideal film dev work. And internal ribs can be a real liability if they aren't smartly designed. I have my own system with a much stronger gear-motor reliable at lower RPM, dual-rotation, Plus, importantly, one offset driver roller to gently rock the drum up and down a little with each rotation, preventing rotation streaks. You can also increase the fluid volume in the drum to minimize surge marks, but that even further increases the cost of the chemistry. Another trick would be to just gently roll the drum back and forth on the sink bed and omit the Jobo machine entirely.
    Yes Drew, I took that shot from Briones Ridge on Pearl Harbor Day, 7 December 2009, immediately following the lowest and deepest snowfall I have experienced in the Bay Area to date. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic....php#taboola-7 According to my notebook I shot 7 negatives, B&W and Color from the same spot with the 150mm apo-Sironar-S but only printed from a color negative. I'm going to locate the other negatives and see if I can get a good B&W print.

The "secret" to successfully using the 3063 is to use the clips, level the drum on the processor (Jobo supplies wedges just for that purpose) and use at least the minimum amount of chemistry required for the drum.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

I'm still waiting for another big roll of RA4 medium, specifically 30-inch wide Fujiflex Supergloss. I have drums up to 30X40 inch print capacity. Meanwhile, on rainy days, I've been making color internegs from masked old sheet chromes, both 4X5 and 8X10, as well as some black and white internegs for silver printing, mostly by contact. The result in print has generally been excellent, really encouraging, with just a few inevitable belly-flops to the learning curve.