Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: processing 20x24 film in a 3063 Jobo drum

processing 20x24 film in a 3063 Jobo drum

Hello,

I am processing some 20x24 films (hp5, fp4, and Portra 400) in a 3063 Jobo Drum and i have some awful smudges on the films. I is made by the slots in the drum (there some of to put some other sizes.
    I don't know what to do to avoid them. Have someone a solution.

Drew Wiley

Re: processing 20x24 film in a 3063 Jobo drum

Surge unevenness. Much greater solution volume might or might not help. But the Jobo motor probably wouldn't handle the extra weight. Lower RPM with less turbulence might also help a little. But the real problem is that kind of drum itself. You need either a different drum without those impediments or, preferably, need to tray develop instead. Just the comparatively slow fill and drain times of Jobo drums would drive me nuts. But someone else might have figured them out with that size film. You didn't even mention the developer you're using, and that might be important.

What developer are you using with the B&W film? There have been reports of trouble with pyro developers in the 3062/3063 drums when used without the special inserts that Jobo used to offer. With 7x17 and 11x14 in those drums, without the inserts, I've had good luck with D-76. Haven't tried anything so large as 20x24, though, nor ever color film.

Zebra

I was able to eliminate it with my 20 x 24’s by barely turning the drum rotation on. The absolute slowest it would rotate solved it for me. Ymmv

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    I was able to eliminate it with my 20 x 24’s by barely turning the drum rotation on. The absolute slowest it would rotate solved it for me. Ymmv

Monty
    I did all development of 20X24 B&W film in an old 20X24 Beseler or Unicolor drum, on a motor base that reversed every ten seconds or so. Every minute or so I would lift the drum off the base and give slight agitation up from side to side. Both of the drums had ribs that allowed limited circulation of the developer around the back of the film. I developed a number of different films in these drums with this method, using a dilute solution of Pyrocat-HD, and never saw any uneven development.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

The film could be making contact with a rib or something, or flopping or popping around inside causing uneven agitation...

Check to see how well film fits and holds inside, maybe taking a waste neg, loading tank, and fill with water to see if film is held well and not flopping around like a fish while agitation happens...

Steve K

Andrej Gregov

I assume you're loading the film emulsion side up? If the emulsion is facing down, the ribs will mark the negs for sure. I process 16x20 and 20x24 C prints (RA4) in the 3063 without issue. However, one problem I encountered early on was getting some streaking on the prints occasionally. I solved it by washing in-between the developer and BLIX stages. You might try a 30 second wash cycle in-between your developer, stop and fix stages.

Lachlan 717

Pre-wash.

It helps to lower the initial “impact” of the developer when it’s at its strongest.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    What developer are you using with the B&W film? There have been reports of trouble with pyro developers in the 3062/3063 drums when used without the special inserts that Jobo used to offer. With 7x17 and 11x14 in those drums, without the inserts, I've had good luck with D-76. Haven't tried anything so large as 20x24, though, nor ever color film.
    In BW, i am using XTol Kodak developper, and in C41 i am using Bellini kit C41. The trouble is the same.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

You need to use the Jobo film clips to keep the film flat against the wall. The clips also make it easier to load the sheet and for that size you will probably need 2 sets: one near the top and the 2d near the bottom. Once you have the clips attached to the tank at the correct locations, just slide the sheet down. You'll hear the distinctive "snaps" which means that the sheet is under the clip and firmly secured to the tank. The tanks ridges allow for chemistry to reach the backside. I never processed film in the 3063 just paper but I have routinely processed 1 to 2 sheets of 8x10 in the 2830 always using the clips. Once, though, I tried processing 1 print without the clips and got bad results. This is a 16x20 RA4 print made using the 3063:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diablo_Range.8123540_large.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	222493

I was thinking about this shot this morning as we have snow in the Diablo Range.

Thomas