A recent poster commented that moderators were "tightening things up." He said (below) he felt this was a good thing. That poster was speaking in context of posters not being encouraged to use the forum as a vehicle by which to buy or sell equipment indirectly.

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/505133.html

I observe that the thread's original question seemed quite innocent and sincere. Further, the thread was not "killed." This was a judgement call by the moderators and, demonstrates to me how "gray" (versus black or white) their function must be at times. I applaud here!!

There have been a few angry contributors who have wanted to press their "right" to say what they thought in whatever "language" they wanted to say it.

Questions:

Is it true that literal (Constitutional) rights to Free Speech do not truly apply to this forum by virtue of its stated by-laws? (Private Club kind of thing.) I mean, the vast majority of us seem to value civility. But could an individual (hypothetically), intent on having his nasty say, challenge (on Constitutinal grounds) his being blocked, say, from access to the forum by arguing that he had the free speech "right" to say to his fellow forum poster, "#@&* you!?"

(BTW, civility seems part of what may separate us from the apes! How do moderators communicate "No Ape-like Behavior Allowed?" Or do they just kill the worst threads and hope for the best from potential challengers?)

Regards