Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Horseman Camera Misleading Us Re Movements?

Re: Is Horseman Camera Misleading Us Re Movements?

Plain Jane Horseman were very cheap 8 t0 10 years ago, almost free

I bought a few for parts, and they do wear out

Soon I had a pile, then started collecting anything Horseman

When the double tilts showed up I captured 2

But who really needs them these days?

If you buy an 8X10 make sure you get the Cambo rear as shown in my pic

It is far better than the Toyo back
    Tin Can

I'd never used a Horseman before, but I did like the look of them, and when one popped up out of the blue last year, I decided to get it. No off center tilts. and no base tilts, but it does have geared rise/fall and geared shift. You can use Sinar boards, bellows, and backs, so there is better availability of some key spare parts.

This is definitely a very nice view camera, and if the price is right it can be all the camera you'll ever need. It's miles better than a Sinar f model in terms of functionality and ease of use. It's by no means light, but it is very sturdy, and it packages well for transporting around.

Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated. After reading you guys' info, I consulted the L models manual (here: https://www.kenko-pi.co.jp/horseman/manual/index_e.html) more thoroughly this time around. Now I understand how their features work. So thank you.

***Another one I am looking at is the Toyo VX125. Anyone has any opinion on this or other Toyo models?

If you can even find a Toyo VX125 it's probably going to be expensive. Any of the top line models from the likes of Cambo, Linhof, Sinar, Toyo, Horseman, Arca-Swiss, Plaubel and others are going to be good enough for anybody. The deciding factors are going to be condition, price, and availability in your area.

Are you looking to buy new, or are you looking to buy a used camera?

Yes, I know they are expensive. Currently (until i win the lottery ... one day, ha ha), I am looking at used camera. I like the Toyo VX125 a lot. The only thing that bothers me is its lack of axis tilt (only base tilt is available).

(Shrek)

I happen to have a Horseman L Pro on hand and I can see how a product photographer would save time using the variable axis rear tilt to adjust perspective without refocusing all the time. I, however, am not a product photographer, so I'm going to simply sell the camera to someone who appreciates this sort of thing.

Realize the limitations of the Toyo VX..

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/VX125/VX125.html

325mm of camera/bellows extension is simply NOT enough. This will impose very real limitations on what lenses can be used on the Toyo VX. Same with wide angle lenses if no bag bellows is an option... regardless of what Toyo advertises on their promo sheet.

Toyo VX might be available new, what do they cost and what supporting accessories are available?

Having used a Toyo VX decades ago when they were new as a demo, no thanks.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Thomas View Post

***Another one I am looking at is the Toyo VX125. Anyone has any opinion on this or other Toyo models?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Long Extension Accessories For VX125
    To use lenses longer than 300mm normal or 400mm telephoto, or to get closerfocusing for extreme close-ups or macro work, use the ultra-light VX125front and rear frame with the following accessories: replace the VX bellowsand telescoping monorail with a #180-692 750mm Long Bellows, #180-714 TripodMounting Block, #180-740 Basic monorail and add extension monorails on eitherend.
    USA # Int'l# Item/Description
    180-692 (10122) 4x5Long Bellows, 750mm, for G/GX/VX125
    180-714 (8008) 54mmTripod Mount Block. Features 1/4" & 3/8" socket
    180-740 (10106) 250mm GX BASIC, (black) includes2- G/GX end caps
    180-741 (10107) 250mmG/GX Extension, (black) accepts extensions
    180-745 (8312) 500mmGB Extension, (black)

If you can stand the weight (12lbs) you can also consider the Toyo Robos which are becoming more available used. The Robos has both base and axial movements on each standard.

Thomas

Been tooting for years the Horseman L series was one of the best bargain monorail cameras available. The Basic 45L once cost a tad over $100 used and they are a FAR nicer camera than any other monorail at that used price point.

Sinar P was the first market successful monorail with asymmetrical swing/tilt. Keep in mind back in those color transparency sheet film days, majority of these images were done in studio with controlled lighting and such. Speed and ease of setting up the camera was a significant advantage to producing these images. A GOOD precision gear driven monorail with asymmetrical swing/tilt had very distinct advantages for producing these images.. Thus driving the view camera market from that era.

Today, seems majority of folks venturing into this view camera stuff are into outdoor images with very modest demands on camera/lens and related imaging tools. What once was a profession with standards of what is acceptable -vs- what is not acceptable as commercial color transparency images. These days, this view camera stuff appears more "hobby" to highly expressive artistic means of image creation.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I happen to have a Horseman L Pro on hand and I can see how a product photographer would save time using the variable axis rear tilt to adjust perspective without refocusing all the time. I, however, am not a product photographer, so I'm going to simply sell the camera to someone who appreciates this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Realize the limitations of the Toyo VX..
    Understood. Also the Toyo VX125 has quite a few less movements available. Though, I am considering the VX125 because it's small and light enough for field work also.