Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Hunting for that special 4x5, my first LF camera

Re: Hunting for that special 4x5, my first LF camera

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I grew up around the corner from Fishkin's, hung out there a lot, and even worked there for a spell... Learned a lot, and was a primer for the foto industry for me... Most all of my early gear and supplies came from them...

But even before the internet, many would "shop" there, but buy grey market in nearby NYC (sound familiar in a "brick & mortar" way???) They considered moving north outside NYC to Rt 22 area, but the internet buying was taking a firm hold on sales business, so they let it go...

FYI, they were the principal contact dealer for the nearby Sinar distributor center...

Bob, Jeff & Bill were kool!!! ;-)
    FotoCare (which Jeff Hirsch moved to from Fishkin's, and has owned since 1990) occasionally does interviews with prominent photographers who are clients, and posts them to its YouTube channel. This one, with photographer, filmmaker and painter Neal Slavin, is a bit unusual. It's about a portrait that Slavin did of all of the people who work at FotoCare. There's a good deal of footage showing the shop and the street outside (22nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues). Jeff Hirsch is at the front of the photo in the checked shirt (05:58 and 09:15 of the video).

Behind the Shot with Neal Slavin

Last edited by r.e.; 5-Nov-2021 at 11:40.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    FotoCare occasionally does interviews with prominent photographers who are clients, and posts them to its YouTube channel. This one, with photographer and filmmaker Neal Slavin, is a bit unusual. It's about a portrait that Slavin did of all of the people who work at FotoCare. There are a fair number of shots showing the shop and the street outside (22nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues).

Thanks, I'll check out the video, but I'm not sure I can handle seeing people I dealt with over 40 years ago and what they might look like now!!! Jeff was cute, young looking, and geeky, but time has a way of doing stuff to people... :-0

Was thinking about my "withdrawal symptoms" from having the great service from this renowned dealer a block from my house, giving me great deals on stuff I needed to get started with, plenty of help, and great advice... Moved to NYC, and felt almost lost there shopping with surly/rude high pressure (when you got their attention) salespersons, and was very stressful... (I was shocked when I found someone who was nice and honest!!!)

Often, a friend or relative would rope me into going into "the city" to buy a camera or something... I said just to go to Fishkin's and buy one, but they wanted to save money (maybe just $30), and it became a safari where the hunter became the hunted... I caught sellers trying to unload defective gear (with no return policy), objecting to my insistence on opening and checking item before leaving store (but it's new in the box!!!!) only to find the shutter was stuck open... Or that dealer (that starts with a B) was as creepy as a catacomb and was insisting that the new item had a USA warranty, but the warranty "card" was a half-faded Xerox written in Farsi... I couldn't afford shopping at the higher end dealers, but at least was pleased I discovered some outright scams right in the stores... But went home almost shaking... I at least figure there were not in the restaurant business, so no one dies of food poisoning... ;-)

When I got to Hollywood years ago, still some good dealers around, but the beginning of the end of an era... Most all are gone... Camera shows were fun, deals to be had, but good I had the ability to check items before I purchased (also gone here now)...

Also remember first buying gear from new-to-me sources... My first 4X5 view camera came from a swap meet down south, and was sweating bullets trying to find defects that were a deal killer... Turns out camera was good, and still love using to this day (Graphic View II) and made me a lot of $$$...

I don't mind buying stuff with some issues I can fix, but it better be a bargain!!! Been noticing on that auction site many items have issues I noticed but have not been able to win an auction while others have been outbidding each other beyond belief for stuff with unlisted issues I can see, but taking on face value... (I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, folks!!!) Hard to get a bargain for a parts unit item now online...

Deep inside, I still feel a little weird buying something sight unseen online, but wish the newcomers had a chance to interact with the pro sellers, kick tires, and feel good that they made a good, informed decision!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    I looked at the prices and was like, holy mackerel this place has a lot of deals! then I realized it was 1966
    fun catalog!
    thanks
    ==

justlikeswimming
    I'm not sure what kind of travel backpacking system you might be planning to use ( or if you plan on using one at all )
    I have always heard great things about Bruce's Photobackpacker * system. Made by a photographer, for photographers.
    Once in a while they come up for sale, keep your eyes open because people that use them say they are fantastic

* I think it's Bruce ? if its not sorry not-Bruce I tried. ...

John
    Thanks Jnantz, I found and article about the RPT P3 photobackpacker online, it looks like a wonderful bag! I guess the company is no more, maybe I'll come across one used but in good condition one day - I'll keep and eye out.

The most difficult part of many things is starting. I assume that you have ordered the Norma, get a lens, a cable release, some holders, a tripod and some film and START. You can carry your gear in those flexible padded coolers inside an existing backpack. You will carry your tripod over your shoulder or in one of your hands.

Drew Wiley

Any serious hiking and you'll want the tripod strapped or tucked to the pack too, leaving both hands free for trekking poles. A Norma is vastly more comfortable in a true external frame backpack than a teardrop padded one. I simply drop mine into a Rubbermaid kitchen wastebasket that fits snugly in the top compartment of a vintage US-made Kelty pack (no relation to the neo-Kelty line made in China). That leaves plenty of room for not only lenses and filmholders, but enough real gear to keep you warm and dry if the weather turns nasty.

I used to go on up to 10 day backpacks in the mountains with Sinar gear that manner - food, tent, sleeping bag, even a short length of climbing rope, the whole nine yards. And the empty pack itself weighed less than most of these dedicated camera packs with all their heavy redundant padding. I'd just wrap the camera in my goosedown jacket, though ordinary bubble packing will do fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    A Norma is vastly more comfortable in a true external frame backpack
    Ha, Drew: knowing the OP's AO up on the Plateau, with an external he might have to lash on some sourwood saplings to serve as runners and pull it like a land-sledge.

Seriously though, I'm all for "purpose built" hiking packs (internal or external) for this kind of work--I run a tricked out 6500 cu in pack, though you'll have to keep an eye on pack dimensions. (Certainly the "old school" externals will often work, as well as vintage Dana internal frames; if you need an excuse for a new pack--and who doesn't?--some of the bigger Mystery Ranch packs have some neat design features as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Any serious hiking and you'll want the tripod strapped or tucked to the pack too, leaving both hands free for trekking poles. A Norma is vastly more comfortable in a true external frame backpack than a teardrop padded one. I simply drop mine into a Rubbermaid kitchen wastebasket that fits snugly in the top compartment of a vintage US-made Kelty pack (no relation to the neo-Kelty line made in China). That leaves plenty of room for not only lenses and filmholders, but enough real gear to keep you warm and dry if the weather turns nasty.

I used to go on up to 10 day backpacks in the mountains with Sinar gear that manner - food, tent, sleeping bag, even a short length of climbing rope, the whole nine yards. And the empty pack itself weighed less than most of these dedicated camera packs with all their heavy redundant padding. I'd just wrap the camera in my goosedown jacket, though ordinary bubble packing will do fine too.
    I don't anticipate going on multi-day hikes (sadly), but a smaller frame pack might be the best choice for a solid day of hard travel with Norma. I'll find out soon, thanks for the ideas! 10 days on the trail, I can only dream...

Arca-Swiss

The 45FA while a nice camera, also has some flaws. If you fail to move the track when folding, to the correct position, you can bend the ears or rear last 1/2" of the track rails. This can be disastrous and hard to find a new track.

I used the Wista SP for several years while getting my MFA. It was excellent and there are extensions and long bellows available. While there is a wide bellows also available, it bunches up and so the SP camera is best with 90mm or longer lenses without the bag bellows.
    The friction drive, sort of geared, front tilt, is also very nice as is the fact you have both front and rear swing.

I actually went to an Arca-Swiss because I was interested in using wide angles more.
    All box type cameras, such as the 45FA, Toyo 45A, and a lot of the wood field types, have trouble with lenses shorter than about 90mm due the 'box', that forms the rear standard. Arca-Swiss offers new 4x5 Universalis that is quite light.

Hope this adds info for you.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Hi, if it's any help, I have been using a Calumet mono rail with an Ilex 8 1/2 inch lens and a Speed Graphic with a Schneider 150 mm. I am looking for a Graphlock 120 film back to fit both cameras. Of all the LF cameras out there these two are probably the least expensive. I would love to have a Swiss Arca set up, but it's way out of my price range.

Affordable 4x5 cameras are offered for sale every week on this forum, which you will see after being a member for 30 days. I suggest buying any decent affordable kit and just start shooting now, since the cameras and film will be getting less affordable and less available as time passes by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellybarnett View Post
    After searching for an affordable 4x5 for a long time, I have come to the conclusion that there simply aren't many available on the market and that it’s better to wait until you can afford the camera you want.