Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 355mm G-Claron verses 14" GOERZ WA Process Blue Dot TRIGOR

Drew Wiley

Re: 355mm G-Claron verses 14" GOERZ WA Process Blue Dot TRIGOR

Well, I have neither. I mostly use a 360/10 Fuji A, which is similar to a 355 GC except multicoated and in a small no.1 shutter - nice for sake of portability, but thereby also with a smaller usable image circle due to mechanical vignetting. It is significantly better than either generation of the Kern 14" Dagors tangentially or close-up. I have a total of four lenses in that focal length. The true apo barrel ones get pulled outdoors from time to time, but are primarily for lab applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Presently I use a 355mm f/9 Schneider G-Claron on my 11x14. I have always been intrigued by a 14" f/11 GOERZ WA Process Blue Dot TRIGOR since regretting on passing up on one many years ago. Now I am 100% satisfied with my G-Claron on my 11x14. Shoot B&W and make contact prints only. My guess is that acquiring a 14" Blue Dot would be of little benefit to me.... Comments appreciated.

Also I thought that only Schneider offered Trigors. Again comments appreciated?

thanks
    The name "Blue Dot Trigor" precedes the acquisition of Goerz Optical Co. by Schneider. I have a 1970 price list (at this time G.O.C. was owned by Kollmorgen) that lists the Blue Dot Trigor in focal lengths of 6, 8 1/4, 9 1/2, 10 3/4, 12 and 14 inch focal lengths. It further comments that these are new products effective 8-1-70. A separate sheet from 1970 comments that the Trigor series was previously available only "...as specials on a custom made basis..."

David

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

My post was more academic than anything else. It was provoked by seeing a shutter mounted 14" GOERZ "Trigor" up for sale for 1K. Upon close inspection, its condition left a bit to be desired. What's interesting is that the word "Trigor" did not appear on the front of the lens. I had thought that the term Trigor was a proprietary term used (only) by Schneider to describe their Blue Dot optic. I am reminded of Stu Kay from Lens & Repro showing me a "gold dot" Dagor that had the gold dot added to the front rim of a plain Dagor... not by Schneider. Evidently Goerz lenses did not include the word "Trigor" on the front of their optics, but Schneider did.
    Last edited by Greg; 29-Oct-2021 at 15:29. Reason: spelling error

Drew Wiley

Most Trigors were Goerz. I don't think Schneider ever made them, but at one time did market certain Kern lenses under their own name, or more correctly, lenses Kern made specifically for them after Schneider acquired the rights from Goerz. Others know the specific history better than me. But yep, you have to be careful about cleverly baited fishhooks on web listings, especially where overtly priced cult reputation lenses are concerned. I've seen a few totally PS-faked ones by fraudulent sellers. I'm extremely wary of any listing from Ukraine or Nigeria. But then, I'm not willing to pay wacko prices either.

May I ask if a Blue Dot Trigor 355mm can be directly fit into a Copal 3 or 3s shutter?
    Or does it need speical adjustment?

Thanks in advance.

No, Blue Dot Trigor or other Goerz lens in barrel does NOT fit direct into a modern# 3 shutter (Copal, Compur, Prontor and etc). Special thread adapter rings must be made specific to each individual lens as the barrel of each lens. Goerz, Kodak and others individually fitted the lens barrel (overall length) to each set of lens cells. Much the same was applied to their lenses fitted to shutter. This is similar to modern view camera lenses with shims to adjust-optimize lens cell sets to a modern shutter.

"Just because the lens cells screw directly into a shutter does NOT mean that lens cell set will perform as originally designed or produced."

The easier and much better way, get a Sinar or similar shutter.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Elcan View Post
    Or does it need speical adjustment?

Thanks in advance.