Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best long lenses usable with Linhof Master Technika

Re: Best long lenses usable with Linhof Master Technika

Quote Originally Posted by epines View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations for long lenses (say, 360mm - 450mm) that are usable with the Technika's bellows draw. I know the Fuji 400T will work, but those who know the lens seem to say that it's just good, not great. Or perhaps I've read the wrong comments? I know that the Nikkor 360mm f/8 and the Fujinon 360mm f/10 are among Kerry Thalmann's classics.
    The Fuji T 400 is excellent. The EBC coating is excellent, especially in backlight. This picture was taken with the Fuji T 400.

The wonderful EBC-Fuji T 600 also fits the camera. The Fuji T 600 can be focused to infinity. But I still use it with a large tophat lens board. This gives me a shooting distance of 15 m.

The affordable Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 9/360 also fits on the camera, on a flat lens board. You can't store the lens in the camera. But you can move this lens very well.

The Apo-Ronar 9/300 can be stored in the camera. The Apor-Ronar 9/300 in the Copal 1 is a very good lens for traveling.

The Linhof Technika is very stable. I can't imagine attaching a heavy Fuji T 600 in a tophat lens board to a Chamonix, Tachihara, Shen Hao, Intrepid etc. Even with the flat Apo-Ronar 360, I would have reservations.

Thanks, all, for the terrific suggestions. Yeah, I think the Nikon 360/500 might be the way to go. I'm going to be hiking and shooting peaks with this setup, so it's certainly handy to have the two focal lengths in one. If the extra weight ends up being too much, I'll swap it for a Fuji 400T. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by epines View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations for long lenses (say, 360mm - 450mm) that are usable with the Technika's bellows draw. I know the Fuji 400T will work, but those who know the lens seem to say that it's just good, not great. Or perhaps I've read the wrong comments? I know that the Nikkor 360mm f/8 and the Fujinon 360mm f/10 are among Kerry Thalmann's classics.

I'll mostly be shooting at infinity, so I won't need to push the bellows much beyond that. But of course I'd like to able to focus closer than infinity as well.

Thanks
    ethan
    Ethan, attached is a stellar photo by Canadian Rockies photographer Craig Richards, taken with a Fuji 400T on a Linhof. Craig was the head of the photography department at the Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies in Banff, & our kids grew up together. The 400T is one of his favourite lenses. I've seen 16" x20" and larger darkroom prints of this image...& it lacks nothing: Mt. Wilson

Attachment 220830

Tele Xenar 5,5/360?
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    Tele Xenar 5,5/360?
    We sold a lot of the Tele Xenar and the Tele Arton for Technikas. The Tele Arton sold better.

I have the 360 tele-Arton, and with a 5.5 aperture, it’s a big heavy lens. It’s why I got the Nikkor 360/500 bundle. It’s slower, but both lengths together are still smaller and lighter than the tele-Arton. I’m guessing the tele-Xenar is in the same ballpark as the tele-Arton.

Drew Wiley

Bob, I was under the impression that the 360 Tele-Xenar was not all that well corrected for color film. My brother frequently used one with his Super Technika V, and the color shots were so-so.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I have the 360 tele-Arton, and with a 5.5 aperture, it’s a big heavy lens. It’s why I got the Nikkor 360/500 bundle. It’s slower, but both lengths together are still smaller and lighter than the tele-Arton. I’m guessing the tele-Xenar is in the same ballpark as the tele-Arton.
    Tele Xenar was quite a bit lighter.

Drew Wiley

And cheaper, I assume, Bob. My brother was on a tight student budget when he bought his.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    And cheaper, I assume, Bob. My brother was on a tight student budget when he bought his.
    Quite a bit cheaper.