I have a Rodenstock E67/86 0.45 ND centre filter, which is recommended for Rodenstock lenses that take 67mm filters. I'm considering the purchase of a Schneider Super-Symmar XL f/5.6 110mm lens, which takes 67mm filters. Schneider's recommended centre filter is its IIIb/3b, but my Rodenstock E67 will fit. Is there any downside to using my E67 instead of Schneider's IIIb? Can I use the Rodenstock E67 with any Schneider lens that has 67mm threads?

This question about mixing brands came up 11 years ago, as it happens in a discussion about this very 110mm lens. My read of the following post by Bob Salomon is that Rodenstock's E67 centre filter will work fine with this lens, perhaps even slightly better than Schneider's IIIb. Correct, or am I missing something?

I don't think you will find many people, if any, who have actually used all 3 [Heliopan, Rodenstock and Schneider centre filters] on the same lens with the same film at the same time who could answer your question.

We are in a unique position. We are the Heliopan and the Rodenstock importer and also the Linhof importer. As such we import the Heliopan and Rodenstock ceter filters as well as Schneider ones for the 58 through 90mm XL lenses we sell.

WE HAD THE SAME QUESTION.

The editor of Shutterbug prior to Bob Shell was an extremely knowlgeable photographer named Lief Erickson (tragically died too early) and he too had this question.

So he took the Linhof Technorama 617 and the old Fuji 617 with a Schneider, Rodenstock and heliopan center filter for a test.

He found no difference on film between them.

However that was before Rodenstock redesigned their center filters.

No center filter is totally neutral. They tend to shift torwards green under cetain conditions. The latest version of the Rodenstock ones are the most neutral of all center filters.

Rodenstock does publish an interesting 2 page sheet on center filters and there use which we would gladly MAIL to anyone in the U.S. who would like it. Simply send a request in info@hpmarketingcorp.com and request it. If you ask Rodenstock for it they will forward the request to the same address so your direct request would be the fastest.

Link to the thread containing Bob's post: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...all-off-110-XL