Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
as I see it, the primary benefit of the notches is that the location of the film is marked on the negative itself, so you don't have to be especially careful to track the sheet once it comes out of the film holder, unless you are unloading and reloading on the same trip. If you develop in batches, that simplfies matching up the negative to your notes after the fact. A few months ago, I did a week-long camping trip with my camera and took about 45 shots. My film holders aren't notched, so I lost track of what is what. having things notched would have made lining things up, after the fact, much easier.
While not to the point where I'm doing anything this involved, this is part of why I was asking/looking into this option... I also, in smaller formats shoot a lot of differing formats/cameras, so I have created an Airtable DB for all (most, I'm terrible abut updating it apparently) of my gear and all of my film. For the purpose of being able to track each load from purchase, to camera, to lab and to scanned file. I'm about 20 sheets into 4x5 and one of the things that's been nagging at me is my inability to do this better... but I feel like this will really make it possible to have a nice clean End to End tracking system. Which I know isn't the bigger point of the process, but it is one of the aspects that I'm currently trying to lock down.