Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bought a nice Linhof Master Technika Classic. Can I do the CLA myself to save money?

Re: Bought a nice Linhof Master Technika Classic. Can I do the CLA myself to save mon

To those who are interested, here are the photos of the camera:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	219475 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	219476 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	219477 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	219478

Re: Bought a nice Linhof Master Technika Classic. Can I do the CLA myself to save mon

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	219479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	219480 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	219481 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	219482

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	219483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	219483 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	219484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	219485

I have always worked on my Technikas myself... If I kept sending them out I would not have as many toys!

They are very easy cameras to work on, big parts, no real gotchas, but this is tempered by the difficulty finding parts. No repair shop will sell any Linhof parts in my experience which leaves ebay and the good folks here and on the facebook forums. I have had luck with both. I still have a small list of needed parts though. Linhof in Munich will sell a lot of parts (especially for the later model cameras like yours) but they have a 100 euro minimum and no way to take direct payment, if you know the exact part you need it may be worth contacting them directly as they are very nice.

It is possible your camera fell over on a tripod... that is how I received my Technika IV... it actually fell on the lens which was nice enough to take the brunt, but it also sheared off the lensmount from the front standard... Ended up having to make some parts at home but it is all good now.

If I were you I would do my own CLA and focus on the items absolutely needed to get in working shape.

The bellows can be patched up for now.

As the front standard moves onto the perch inside the box it pushes on the odd shaped piece of flat metal and that centers the RF cam, if the base of the standard is damaged then perhaps it is not engaging it. Show a photo of the damage to the base of the front standard so we can see what we have to work with. What does it look like on the bottom of the standard?

How bad is the focus wheel? is it just wobbly or is it preventing the rail from moving?

Show a photo of the damage to the back and glass. The whole back of the camera easily changes out if need be and backs are available on ebay.

A good set of screwdrivers is a must.
    Old lubercant can be removed with lighter fluid and Linhof recommends Vaseline for re-lube.
    I have just re-lubed a wartime Technika and used SuperLube and am very happy with it.
    Most repair shops probably use white lithium grease.
    Last edited by Embdude; 13-Sep-2021 at 11:48.

As mentioned facebook is a great source for repair info. The learn camera repair group is very good.

There is also several linhof groups with very helpful people, some who work on their own cameras.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Linhof
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1749363195199840