Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikkor-W 210mm old type 77mm filter ring has 37mm rise on 8x10"

Re: Nikkor-W 210mm old type 77mm filter ring has 37mm rise on 8x10"

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I use a Nikkor-W 210mm lens with the 77mm front on my Tachihara 810HD 8x10 field camera as a mild wide-angle for landscape work. The combo is already set up here so I checked the coverage a couple of minutes ago.
    With the format arranged in portrait orientation the maximum rise before cut-off is 25mm and no more; not even 26mm.
    Because the vignetting that limits coverage is mechanical rather than optical I find extreme corner image quality is still good enough for the little pieces of sky, tree, or rock that usually end up there.
    My numbers might not be accurate, and I did forget to mention orientation.
    How about landscape orientation? How much can you rise?

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Re: Nikkor-W 210mm old type 77mm filter ring has 37mm rise on 8x10"

I just checked my Nikkor-W 210mm f5.6 lens with the 77mm front on the 8x10 Tachihara this time with the back in landscape orientation.
    Focussed on infinity and keeping everything square and parallel and stopped down to f64 I can get 30mm of rise (not 31mm) before mechanical vignetting nips off the corner of the image.

My lens is old Serial Number 741104 and only a limited number of this style was made pre 1982 as far as I can discover. It is in a Copal #1 shutter marked "Nikon" with a silver speed ring.
    There may be even more exotic versions with bigger image circles out there.

I made the curious discovery a few years ago that the Nikkor-W 210mm is useable as a convertible lens. With the front group screwed off the shutter the focal length jumps to 700mm and a bit
    and well stopped down it gives ok results for contact printing the 8x10 format. A bit dim for focussing though.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".