Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens recommendation: Indoor, wide

Re: Lens recommendation: Indoor, wide

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I second Mark's recommendation: Get a 90mm and get one of the f/8 models. The f/5.6 ones are big, heavy and might be a bit much for the Chamonix 45-N. I have both the SA Schneider 90mm f/8 and the Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 and they both work well on wooden folders (I have recessed boards for them, which you may not need with the Chamonix). The Nikkor has a larger image circle, comparable to the f/5.6 versions, and I use it when I need coverage, e.g., for interiors and architectural work.

A 90mm is "standard" for that focal-length range for good reason. It has lots of coverage, isn't too large, renders nicely without disturbing distortions at the edge, and is relatively economical; a real sweet spot in the wide-angle lens design.

Yes, the f/8 lenses are a bit darker, but that doesn't present a problem if you use a good dark cloth and let your eyes adjust a bit when in dimmer situations. Plus, your wallet will thank you for only having to buy 67mm filters

Best,

Doremus
    1:4,5 80 mm SSXL are really tiny and… a bit expensive ;-)

Agree 90mm as a good choice. Many 105mm lenses are for 6x9 format, so I'd avoid those.
    65mm and 75mm lenses will give more of a Les Krims look, and might be too wide.

I would go about this differently. The photos in the first post are essentially environmental portraits. Contrast them with Tobias's portraits in post #3. I would be figuring out how much environment I want as a major consideration, as well as how far I want to be, or indeed can be having regard to space limitations, from the subject. It's not hard to find examples where 90mm is adequate and where wider is needed.

I would reiterate what I suggested in post #5. Get a viewfinder app and spend some time trying different frame lines in the kinds of places that you plan to make photographs. It's a pretty cheap way to avoid making a big financial mistake. If you're absolutely certain that you'll only shoot indoors, fine, but I would want to keep outdoors open as an option. Shooting environmental portraits outdoors can have different demands when it comes to background.

Not to be a complete idiot, but why don't you ask Lise Sarfati which lens(es) she used for the example shots you posted? studio@​lisesarfati.​com

I second choosing a 90mm lens. A few years ago I was involved in a long term documentary project. My main lens was a 90mm f/4.5 Nikkor-SW. Wonderful lens with great coverage, but a few times I ran out coverage with my front rise. Looked around and a 90mm f/5.6 Schneider Super-Angulon XL fit the bill, but not my wallet. Kept looking around and finally found one FS for under $500.00. Photos of it were poor and its condition described as excellent so I was a bit hesitant, but the seller accepted returns so took a chance. Turned out to be in absolutely mint condition under a layer of dust. Since then I have come across the same lens FS for under $500.00. which is a real bargain for this optic. Then went in search of the elusive Schneider IVa ND filter which came up empty. Using Google's translator I visited German Photo stores and found one in again excellent condition from a dealer for under $200.00 which included shipping. Bought it. Arrived about 3-4 weeks later in its plastic case in only an envelope. Thought for sure it would be broken, but on opening the envelope it was not. It also needed a good cleaning, and once cleaned was in also mint condition. I'd figure out the best lens that would fit your use, and then wait till you find one at a sweet price. Biggest surprise was that the SA XL actually covered and was very usable on my Chamonix whole plate camera, though only a few mm of movement is possible.