Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 Gandolfi with 4x5 Back

Re: 5x7 Gandolfi with 4x5 Back

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Reducing-Back

Might solve your problem with a bit of work?
    Thanks Willie, I will investigate that option.

Be aware that Gandolfis are not as standardised as might be hoped for. Different models may use different sized backs. The best solution would probably be to make an adapter plate to take a 5x7 back from another maker which should not be too difficult. I have sorted out a few adapters myself and currently have 5 Gandolfi cameras, 3 of which are 1/2 plate or 5x4 but none of which have interchangeable backs - they are all marginally different sized. The two 10x8s (Precision and Tailboard) though use the same size back and I have 10x8 & 5x4 for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin D View Post
    Thanks Willie, I will investigate that option.
    That is a reducing back...to 4x5. I believe the OP was looking for a 5"x7" back

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad . Marvin View Post
    The good news is that if you need bellows for it at some point, the folks at Custom Bellows in the UK supplied the bellows for the Gandolfi cameras and have the original specs on file.

If the panel that holds the lens board slides up and down, it will slid all the way off and there may be a number on the back side. Model number not serial number. Like 57.
    The lens board is removable but there is no sign of a model number on the back that I can see. I will contact Custom Bellows and see if they can replace my crumpled version.

It was sold as a 5x7 but that does not worry me so much as I am set up to shoot 4x5 anyway. The idea of 5x7 appealed as another option if it was possible. Is there another way to tell if it actually is a 5x7.

Colin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	948D28F2-5A43-400A-AC0A-8C2E7B11EF24.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	219019
    Last edited by Colin D; 26-Aug-2021 at 16:04. Reason: Correction to specs

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    The first things would be is to find out if a 5X7 back was made for it... The second thing is to measure the lens to film distances to see if camera will allow enough bellows and extension to use the FL of your desired lens + subject you wish to cover... And will the size of your desired lenses fit on the lensboard and fit into front standard opening...

It looks there is not a lot of extension there, but you might shoot 5X7 with shorter lenses on it, but also know that it might be tricky to keep bellows from obstructing the edges of the image on your film...

But it looks like a great 4×5 camera as-is...

Steve K
    Hey Steve, I mostly use shorter lenses (120mm to 180mm) for studio work so that should be ok. It is very nice as a 4x5 so nothing lost if the 5x7 idea doesn't eventuate.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin D View Post
    The lens board is removable but there is no sign of a model number on the back that I can see. I will contact Custom Bellows and see if they can replace my crumpled version.

I'm actually now wondering if this is a 5x7 camera as the GG and back of the camera measure 4x5 and no more. It was sold as a 5x7 but that does not worry me so much as I am set up to shoot 4x5 anyway. The idea of 5x7 appealed as another option if it was possible. Is there another way to tell if it actually is a 5x7.

Colin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	948D28F2-5A43-400A-AC0A-8C2E7B11EF24.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	219019
    I have just noticed the number 1 has been stamped on the front of the lens board, does anyone know what significance that has? See photo below.

Attachment 219027[/QUOTE]

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    It would be easier if you first found out which model you have got: imperial, precision ? model number?
    ...how does the rest of your camera look?

Apparently your camera came with an international (US) back.
    They also made them with the backs that take double bookform plateholders:
    https://picclick.com/Antique-Gandolf...l#&gid=1&pid=9
    Hi Ron, thanks for that feedback and link. The only reference clue I can find is the number 1 stamped on the front of the lens board.

Mine is in good condition, apart from the bellows, compared to that one you found. Gradually I'm finding out more to unravel the puzzle. There was a very nice 5x7 sold two years ago on here which I missed, but I'll keep searching.

Colin
    Last edited by Colin D; 26-Aug-2021 at 17:11. Reason: Duplicate name removal