Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too wide of a lens used...?

Re: Too wide of a lens used...?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you are unhappy with the resolution of your cropped image, you should re-shoot it so it fills the whole frame.
    The perspective of all lenses is the same. Perspective only changes when you move the lens with respect to the subject.
    No. It changes only with camera position. Moving your lens around has no effect on perspective. Moving the camera closer or further away or to one side or the other changes perspective.

I exposed these two sheets in September 2018 on a nice spring day. My final choice of lens was chosen due to what I wished to photograph and the framing I wished to achieve. I chose a 90mm lens and was quite happy with my choice.

On a whim I then decided to put my 65mm lens on. The position of the camera didn't change, all I did was change the focus. The 65mm had a centre ND filter which obviously changed some settings and the 65mm has a different optimal aperture, other than that, everything was identical.

I have electronically cropped the 65mm picture to the same edges as per the 90mm lens, printed it out on normal office paper, then superimposed it on top of a similar office paper print of the 90mm lens on a light box. So close to each other they looked like they were from the same negative.

Both images you see here, are effectively the full frame of the negatives.

Some food for thought.

Mick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180007_Pedestrian_Bridge_Williamstown_Station_FP4_90_f22_003_web.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	218537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180008_Pedestrian_Bridge_Williamstown_Station_FP4_65_f16_003_web.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	218538

Thanks for all the feedback, and for the clear example above, Mick !

I am now reassured, there is no need for me to re-shoot the scene with the 90 mm SA. the scene is such that I would have to use the exact same vantage point to place the camera, and the loss of resolution caused by not printing the whole negative (I guess I loose about 2-3 cm around) does not bother me, and has the added "bonus" of loosing the light fall off. I agree with Drew, the 65mm SA is my least used lens, I thought about getting a 75mm lens instead, but thanks to this discussion I won't gain to much anyway, I can always crop afterwards if needed..;-)..

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No. It changes only with camera position. Moving your lens around has no effect on perspective. Moving the camera closer or further away or to one side or the other changes perspective.
    no, perspective is determined by the position of the lens' no-parallax point. you can move the rest of the camera around any way you want or even pivot the lens around that point and it won't change the perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    no, perspective is determined by the position of the lens' no-parallax point. you can move the rest of the camera around any way you want or even pivot the lens around that point and it won't change the perspective.
    No, it’s determined only by camera position.

maltfalc is correct, as is easily observable at tabletop or closer distances. Shift the lens and you'll immediately see the parallax/change in viewpoint. Move the whole camera, then counter-shift the lens to it's original position, and the projected spatial relationships of the objects in scene are back where they were. Shifting the back-only also works to maintain perspective.

At longer distances though, there's little difference between lens/camera position, so in that case you're right for all practical purposes.
    Last edited by alan_b; 11-Aug-2021 at 11:19.

If you move the camera but put the lens back to the original position (with shift, rise or fall) there is no change in perspective. Only when the lens is moved will perspective change.

That’s what I said?

*sigh* if you move the entire camera, including the lens, that changes the perspective only because the lens has changed position. every other part of the camera is irrelevant. if you disagree, please tell me which parts of the camera besides the lens are affecting perspective and how.

*sigh* if you move the entire camera, including the lens, that changes the perspective only because the lens has changed position. every other part of the camera is irrelevant. if you disagree, please tell me which parts of the camera besides the lens are affecting perspective and how.
    When you change camera, including lens, position you change perspective.