Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: B&W Filter Selection

Re: B&W Filter Selection

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    First of all, Heliopan's official US marketing website doesn't list any such thing. Nor does any dealer here offer them. And in the linked example of one, it's ridiculously labeled as a "digital" filter; but some Japanese manufacturers are doing the same marketing nonsense. So could you please be more specific about likely Euro dealers willing to ship small items to the US ?
    I'd rather not get into a detailed discussion about Heliopan distribution and sources in other countries in a public post on a photography website. If I make a purchase, I'll be happy to send you a personal message. Re the use of the word "Digital"... I can tell you for a fact that Heliopan is using the word on some of its filters. I don't see what difference it makes to this discussion. If one wants to know about the Heliopan US site and who controls it, and why US resellers aren't selling certain Heliopan filters, no doubt the Mac Group can answer those questions.

For me, the more immediate question is whether the SH-PMC filters are worth the premium. Do you have a view on that question?

First of all, Heliopan's official US marketing website doesn't list any such thing. If it's on the German site, I can't find it. Nor does any dealer here offer them. And in the linked example of one, it's ridiculously labeled as a "digital" filter; but some Japanese manufacturers are doing the same marketing nonsense. So could you please be more specific about likely Euro dealers who actually carry these and are willing to ship small items to the US ? - just for general forum info. I'm not personally worried about it.
    Just go to the German factory web site and download their price list. I believe both versions are on either page 8 or 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Just go to the German factory web site and download their price list. I believe both versions are on either page 8 or 15.
    If anybody here knows the answer to this question, you do. What's the practical difference between the standard and SH-PMC Heliopan filters? You touched briefly on SH-PMC filters in a post ten years ago, but didn't get into a comparison of the two Heliopan lines. It would be great to get your view.

Drew Wiley

Well, I know a lot about distribution contracts. Thankfully I'm retired from all that. But in an analogous mode to the specific question involved, I do have both single-coated and multicoated versions of the B&W deep orange 22 filter.
    Either resists dirt and condensation well (which uncoated glass filters don't). With a view camera, I always have an adjustable shade attached, so really, no practical difference there. Where it might make a difference to me is when shooting my Fuji 6X9 RF or any small camera application involving a wide-angle lens, since wides are difficult to efficiently shade without a bulky compendium. A multicoated filter might provide a slight edge. But I never tempt fate by shooting into the sun with wide angle lenses on small cameras; that makes it simple.

Color photography is different. I tend to enlarge color shots to a greater degree, and it's easy to get multicoated filters for color film applications.

Drew Wiley

Bob - linking onto the German site just kicks you back onto the US distributor one, and no PDF comes up under the price list link. They're probably trying to protect the contracted US distributor in that respect. That kind of scenario is pretty common these days.

Bob - linking onto the German site just kicks you back onto the US distributor one, and no PDF comes up under the price list link.
    The screen capture below is from Fotoimpex, which is the first hit on a Google search for "heliopan retailer europe".

Fotoimpex is a German retailer that presumably knows what Heliopan makes and sells. It is based in Berlin. It is not the European retailer that I occasionally do business with, which offers the same two versions of Heliopan's #22 Orange. Based on previous dealings, I think my dealer will be able to get either version fairly quickly, assuming that they aren't already in stock. I expect to hear back from my retailer tomorrow morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 10.34.55 PM.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	218500
    Last edited by r.e.; 9-Aug-2021 at 02:21.

Drew Wiley

Thanks. I'll check it out later.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Thanks. B&H wants $120 for the #25, same as the #22. No need for a photo. I'd just like to know whether the filter it's selling has SH-PMC written on the ring or not. If it doesn't, it makes more financial sense for me to order from Europe, and I'd have the option of the SH-PMC filter if I want it.

I've asked the European dealer that I use to tell me what its inventory is, and I should get an answer when they open in the morning.
    It does not have those letters ....

Mine just says Heliopan Digital ES82 8x -3 Made in Germany
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    It does not have those letters ....

Mine just says Heliopan Digital ES82 8x -3 Made in Germany
    Thanks very much Adam. That confirms what I figured is the situation.

Drew might note that your filter rim says "Heliopan Digital".
    Last edited by r.e.; 9-Aug-2021 at 02:37.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    This may be in the wrong forum section because this is a bit of a gear question, but the results of the gear is all about technique. So maybe we're good....

I recently picked up a Rodenstock 115mm that uses 82mm threads. I'm now converting my B&W filters from 67mm to 82mm. My current collection consists of a #8 Yellow, #15 Dark Yellow and #25 Red. I want to use Heliopan and have already picked up the #8 and #25, BUT they discontinued the #15.

Here's what I can say about these filters....the #8 is one that I use when I don't have a lot of sky otherwise it's just not strong enough to cut the blue. The #25 Red is just pretty dramatic and to me more specific to obtaining a certain mood, but not always practical. As a result the #15 is my most used filter, BUT, I also find that it's often just not enough when cutting the blue UV and I'd like a little bit more.

So the question is, does that mean I should look to a #16 or the #22?

Heliopan makes the #22 but not the #16 (in 82mm threads). B+W makes the #16.

So to achieve somewhere in-between the #15 and #25, would you suggest the #16 or #22. Please don't say both!! That's where I'd like to go, but don't think I need to go.

You might be asking, what do I shoot!!

Pretty much desert landscape. Lots of sky with clouds and green and brown. TONS of texture. The desert can be very busy as you know and contrast is important.

Over to you. Many thanks!!
    I just checked Ebay for "82mm filter" they list several 82mm orange filters-as they typically are, prices are all over the place. Cheapest was I think, $65?