Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Scouting/Planning Apps Are You Using in 2021?

Re: What Scouting/Planning Apps Are You Using in 2021?

Ummm . . . .I generally walk around a scene till I find a vignette I like. Then I set up the Camera and put a lens on it. My current suite in 4x5 is 90mm, 15mm and 210mm. Then I look at the ground glass while moving the camera slightly. When the composition comes together I do the other things necessary to capture it on film.

If the composition won't work with that lens, I change lenses. If the composition won't come together from that set up, I move the tripod a few feet or a few yards then try it again. Some times even though there is an interesting composition out there, it still won't work due to factors such as changing conditions, sun, clouds wind etc. Then I pack it up and go somewhere else.

I cannot imaging an an app that would give me the same joy as finding a great image on my ground glass.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 9-Aug-2021 at 18:15.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I have a friend (a digital friend) who ... plans shots months in advance so he knows the exact day and time he needs to take his shot to have the sun framed by the branches of a tree or something like that. I prefer the serendipity of the moment (though I will likely use something like that in a couple years when I travel to Durango, Mexico for the upcoming solar eclipse (April 2024)--when something only happens for 2 minutes, serendipity to a weak partner.)

Having done a bit of motorcycle touring myself, I enjoyed your post. This is a recent video on using Photo Pills (post #1) to plan photographs of a solar eclipse:

How to Plan a Photo of an Annular Solar Eclipse - June 10, 2021 | Step by Step Tutorial

The screen capture below is from the Photo Pills app on iPad. Following the video, it shows the first step in planning to photograph the April 8, 2024 eclipse in Durango: pulling up the map of the eclipse's path over Mexico. I selected Apple Maps for this, but Photo Pills offers several map options, such as Google Maps and Open Street Map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_B1DAA1E44B00-1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	218540
    Last edited by r.e.; 10-Aug-2021 at 05:00.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    For me, the number one "planning" app is google maps, though I don't really use it on a phone or iPad, but rather at home, figuring a place to go, finding interesting locations, even figuring out how you get there. Once I'm actually travelling, I don't use it, because as a navigational GPS app, it sucks (for my purposes.) By that point, I load routes into my Garmin (a very old one) but it works perfectly for me.

For the last 15 years (except last year) my father and I have done 2000-3000 mile motorcycle trips around the southwest every year, and a huge part of my enjoyment was planning routes to find interesting and beautiful places. That whole processes substitutes for the first half of photo scouting. Street view gives me a ground level view of the locations, so I can see the environs, traffic, population density. It doesn't get too close to many locations where I actually want to photograph, but it gives a good sense of what I'll find there. Street view also shows linked photos so I can see places off the road. If I see a huge cluster of photos at a location, I know its heavily visited. Many times that will actually turn me off, since I don't really want to fight crowds to get a photo, but it can still hint at possible other locations.

Once I get to a location, my process is more old school--I just drive around looking for interesting things. I used to hike around, but 15 years ago an idiot driver made sure I can only walk short distances. I use a viewfinder off a Technika to find a spot for a photo I want to take, then I mark the ground somehow--if its sand, like 90% of New Mexico, I just use my foot to draw an X in the ground, otherwise, just stack a couple of rocks. or similar. The viewfinder tells me what focal length lens I need, so I walk back to the vehicle, grab only what I need, and return to the spot, setup and take the picture.

For a number of years I used an app on my phone to record all my photo information--camera, lens, exposure settings, GPS--but moving to large format, has made me less worrysome about recording too many details. (during my digital years, I always used a camera with a built in GPS to record the location of every shot, so when I'd go into Aperture, I could see all my photos layed out on a map. May of my 35mm shots (the digitized version) have lat/log attached.) Today I just use a little notepad that Stearman sells. I'm slowly building to the point in 7 years when I retire and I can ditch my smart phone entirely.

I don't use anything to plan specific shots, partly because they seem to contribute to overly composed shots, which I really don't like. I have a friend (a digital friend) who uses apps like that extensively. He plans shots months in advance so he knows the exact day and time he needs to take his shot to have the sun framed by the branches of a tree or somthing like that. I prefer the serendipity of the moment (though I will likely use something like that in a couple years when I travel to Durango, Mexico for the upcoming solar eclipse (April 2024)--when something only happens for 2 minutes, serendipity to a weak partner.)
    Thanks for reminding me about Google maps. I forgot about it. I too probably use that more than any other app to find places, navigate, and get around. I also planned a 3000 mile tour of the SW on it by car hitting all the main national and state parks in Utah, Arizona and NM> https://goo.gl/maps/aTTUdS7hVKB5Niuy9 pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/alankl...57694819890421

I still use my Garmin GPS off-road. Also, like you, I have started using my micro 4/3 camera to setup 4x5 large format shots tripod locations, and to select the lens. I also use it as an exposure lightmeter. I also use the digital cameras video to record exposure settings, camera movements, focus points, etc which I transcribe to paper when I get home and keep with the film when developed.

I'm curious. How do you use your digital camera as a lightmeter? I shoot both chromes (Velvia 50 and Provia 100 as well as negative BW film such as Tmax 100 and 400). What do you look at in your digital camera and how do you transfer the info there to set your film exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    The screen capture below is from the Photo Pills app on iPad. Following the video, it shows the first step in planning to photograph the April 8, 2024 eclipse in Durango: pulling up the map of the eclipse's path over Mexico. I selected Apple Maps for this, but Photo Pills offers several map options, such as Google Maps and Open Street Map.
    Initially I was hoping it would pass over Monterey, but its going to be a little too far north. There is a park just outside of Monterey that climbers use, that would make for a nice composition:

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9477...!7i8704!8i4352

Durango has some nice locations as well, but I don't know them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein
    I'm curious. How do you use your digital camera as a lightmeter? I shoot both chromes (Velvia 50 and Provia 100 as well as negative BW film such as Tmax 100 and 400). What do you look at in your digital camera and how do you transfer the info there to set your film exposure?
    I think you misunderstood, I use my phone to record exposure information using an app called PhotoExif, I actually meter with a sekonic. The PhotoExif app isn't well suited to large format--its roll based--but it does work. I may go back to using it when my life settles down, but I'm too busy these days to do anything but wing it.

I'm not sure of anyone has mentioned the Viewfinder Preview app, which frames the photo at various format-and-lens combinations. I don't find the emulsion emulations (also included) as helpful, but for choosing what lens to put on the camera and where to set up the tripod, it is worth the 4 bucks cost, imho. Uses the native phone camera, so no internet connection needed.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Has any one here read an account of how Ansel Adams shot "Moon Rise Over Hernandez NM"?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    I'm not sure of anyone has mentioned the Viewfinder Preview app, which frames the photo at various format-and-lens combinations. I don't find the emulsion emulations (also included) as helpful, but for choosing what lens to put on the camera and where to set up the tripod, it is worth the 4 bucks cost, imho. Uses the native phone camera, so no internet connection needed.
    Artist's Viewfinder (post #1), Viewfinder Preview and Cadradge Director's Viewfinder are all viewfinder apps, but at different price points. I've only used Artist's Viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Has any one here read an account of how Ansel Adams shot "Moon Rise Over Hernandez NM"?
    Isn’t that the one where his iPhone died just as he was about to consult the Reciprocity Timer app?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Artist's Viewfinder (post #1), Viewfinder Preview and Cadradge Director's Viewfinder are all viewfinder apps, but at different price points. I've only used Artist's Viewfinder.
    What do you guys do to preview wide angle lenses? My iPhone 8+ isn't wide enough..
    - Paul Ozzello

www.paulozzello.com

Quote Originally Posted by pozzello View Post
    What do you guys do to preview wide angle lenses? My iPhone 8+ isn't wide enough..
    I can get wide-angle frame lines in Artist's Viewfinder because I have an iPhone 11. It supports them natively for iPhone 11 and 12. Your phone would require a converter. Info here, and in the app's manual: Tech Specs

I just purchased a 75mm lens for 4x5, and the native support for iPhone 11/12 works fine.