Thread: Silverfast and Editing software

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Silverfast and Editing software

Hello

I have recently purchased an Epson 850V and using the bundled scanning software Silverfast SE 8.8. I am new to this side of things, but progressing OK with scanning B&W negatives (35mm, 6x6 & 4x5) and a very large number of Kodachrome 64 slides.

The software has a dedicated setting for Kodachrome. While not the same as a projected slide or the light box, the results are mixed, but improving as I get accustomed to using the scanning software.

I have two questions:

I can upgrade the Silverfast version SE 8.8 to the Silverfast Ai Studio 9 for a discounted price of €74.00 which seems reasonable to me. I am curious if anyone has used the SF Version 9 and if it offers an improvement over it's predecessor and in particular, any improvement in scanning Kodachrome? (Apparently there is a special colour calibration for Kodachrome in this the 9.0 but I waiting to speak with their technical support to understand what this means.)

Next question: I also need editing software to further adjust my scanned negatives to reflect my darkroom prints and also for posting on line and to produce a book. And also to help adjust any Kodachrome scans which Silverfast can't deal with.

I have read a lot in this forum and the web on the various options (of which there are many) but would appreciate any current views on suitable editing software which I can learn to use to deal with scanned film. My IT skills are basic so I need some thing that is not too difficult to get the hang of!

Thank you for any input.

I have added two examples (or I think I have) of my scans to date.

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US 55 Stars & Stripes  1987.jpg   Cape Paliser Beach.jpg