This is unorthodox, but I really like the result and want to pass it on.

For reasons unrelated to large format photography, I have a Matthews Slider Stand with the 8" wheels shown in these videos. The Slider Stand (link below) is much more compact than the stand in the first video.

I've started using this setup instead of a tripod with my 8x10. The combination is rock solid and highly manoeuvrable on rough ground, whether in the country or in the city. I can just push the stand and camera around. Obviously, it isn't a solution if you're climbing boulders, but it works extremely well for the terrain that I deal with.

Kupo also sells a slider stand, very good quality but less expensive. Being Matthews, these particular wheels are crazy expensive (I lucked into a set from B&H at half price), but it wouldn't be hard to do the same thing with large rubber, pneumatic wheels off the shelf. It might be necessary to enlist the help of a machinist for the hardware for the wheels.

You have to click on "Watch on YouTube" to see the second video.

B&H Link: Matthews Slider Stand

The link has specs for the stand. Working height is 61cm (24") to 117cm (46"). The wheels, which are easy to put on and remove, add 25cm (10"). The stand has two "Rocky Mountain Legs". The length of these legs can be adjusted for levelling.

It's a "Junior" stand. The female receiver at the top is a robust 1 1/8" (29mm) in diameter. I attach the camera with a Matthews Junior to 3/8" adapter plate. The setup is rock solid: the stand weighs 6.4kg (14 lbs).