Hi,

I'm a commercial fashion, beauty and portrait photographer working out of NYC. I recently got turned on to the idea of shooting 4x5, for its mix of process/results, accessibility and costs. I have a Hasselblad 500cm and it just didn't take, so I'm looking to sell that kit and move on.

Initial looking around has me interested in a Wista, with the intention to carry over some of my 35mm working style and FOV preferences to 4x5. I shoot most often with a 50mm and a 105, and I figure this puts me in the market for a 135-150mm, and a 300mm. I shoot a lot of work very tight, like half or quarter face, and am looking forward to what 4x5 offers in this regard - is that a pipe dream?

Who else here is shooting portraiture with a Wista? Is there a reason to prefer one model over another? I know about the micro moves that some models offer on the rear standard, but I'm not sure how important that will figure into practical use for what I do.

Is there a way to know and look for a better ground glass on the likes of eBay among the Wista models?

Any middle of the road but good lenses I should look for? I'm not all that interested in sought after bokeh or OOF rendering, just solid performers that won't cost an arm and a leg. Most of my work is shot at f/5.6 or tighter, so I'm not really drawn to paying top dollar to buy an obscure f/2.5 or the like. Hoping to keep my whole kit under $800.

Thanks for your help,

Jim