Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start in B&W inkjet printing?

Where to start in B&W inkjet printing?

John, since you have experience with both the 4800 and the 1280 with quadtone, would you mind comparing their black and white output?

I only want to print up to 13x19 in b/w so if the 1280 is close to the 4800 I would rather go that route for now.

Eric: For whatever reason, popular support seems to rally behind the Epson products. Being that I'm already clueless in this field, I think I'm going to stick with the unofficial leader, for now.

Others: I did some more reading, and while I've forgotten almost everything already, I do know that the mid-priced Epson line (the R2xx and R3x, IIRC) seems to have some support in the products I should be learning about, as well as being realistically priced to try out and see how I can cope and learn.

Once I start with a budget unit, I can decide if I should invest it something larger or if I'm outclassed and need to stick with contact prints and lab fees. Sounds like once I get a basis int hings like calibration and profiles, using an outside lab to print won't be such an issue.

Thanks guys, I think some of the links here will be terriffically helpful, I've definatly got some research to do.

I've seen B&W prints from the Epson 2400, and they are yummy. It was designed to remedy the Epson R800 / 1800 series' inability to do good matte (and to a lesser extent, B&W) photos. I have a R800, and it does spectacular glossy prints. It also uses archival pigments (K3), not inks or dyes (although, I really don't understand the difference. It's what I was told), as does the 2400. Since I do mostly matte work, just imagine my surprise. I'll be saving up to buy a 2400.

From what I've heard, the Epson pigment system is the standard for archival digital printing currently. I've seen Calls for Art that won't accept digital prints unless thay have the K3 system. No, I'm not a sales rep. It seems to be the consensus among the pro camera shops here in Portland, Oregon... Both of them.

--Gary

the 2400 and bigger with the K3 inks are excellent - really good on matte/rag art papers, excellent on RC gloss/semi-gloss, but imo they are really starting to shine on the new coated cotton rag papers like Silver Rag (and possible the new DaVinci - I see a whole new crop of these coming out in the next while). A surface quite close to air dried FB Glossy/semi-glossy - but basically a pleasant surface with a cotton fibre base - not a plasticy feel and look that the current RC papers (both silver and ink) have. A real sense of depth to the image (it feels more to sit underneath the surface of the print rather than just on the top), excellent shadow detail and tonal range - DMax up to around 2.7. Also much tough than earlier papers - waterproof, surface doesn't scratch off. Also a nice feel and heft to the paper. These are giving me really rich prints

Silver Rag is being released in the next week. And if you go to PMA you should be able to see some samples...

I think these papers are really bringing ink printing into its own - I expect a few more from the major manufacturers in the next year.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog