Thread: Mounting a filter safely to Caltar II-N 210mm lens

Mounting a filter safely to Caltar II-N 210mm lens

I purchased a B+W F-Pro series 67mm UV Haze MRC 010 to protect my Caltar II-N 210 lens. (I also purchased a center-press lens cap and collapsible hood, so all three could be used together.) To my surprise, I noticed the curvature of the lens would prevent the filter from being screwed on without coming into direct contact with the lens glass itself.

I have this type of filter on my other LF lenses when I photograph on busy streets/sidewalks, and need to protect the glass from various hazards ~ people's hands, falling objects, etc. I realize there are many people who don't cover their lenses for protection, and I get the reasons for that. For this post, please, I'd appreciate help from people who may have this lens or similar and do use a protective lens, thank you!

Questions, please:

* What would a workaround be to allow me to place a filter over this lens? Would a step-ring add sufficient depth for the filter to clear the lens? Do step-rings come in various depths as well as diameter?

* Is it unnecessary to attach a collapsible hood to lessen flare on a "portrait" lens like a 210mm?

* Or, would using a hood instead of a filter provide sufficient protection?

Any other suggestions would also be much appreciated! Thanks to all in advance!

Re: Mounting a filter safely to Caltar II-N 210mm lens

A metal hood adds probably more protection than a filter which might be broken during a fall and scratch the lens.

Big Negs Rock!

I'd just add one or more empty filter rings to add the distance between the glass filter and the glass of the lens. I agree a rigid lens hood would offer more protection.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

I don't have direct experience with this lens. Some filters are much lower profile than others and the B+W F-Pro advertises a low profile to decrease vignetting with wide angle lenses. That usually means the back surface of the filter is almost at the rearmost thread of the filter. You might have ironically better luck with a cheaper filter that has a thicker filter ring. Adding an empty filter ring or a step ring will almost surely give you enough clearance as well (but the step ring then requires a bigger filter, cap, hood).