Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
Heroique, I wonder if some of these flags are left by well-meaning hikers trying to mark trails that were snow covered at the time.
Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
When it snows in the northwest hills and mountains you often can't find the trail. These could be a very needed winter marking system. Markings like these are used for cross country trail skiing…
Yes, I suspect this is what one often sees, ribbons placed by well-meaning snowshoe hikers, cross country skiers, or snow mobilers to mark snow-covered trails – and whose ribbons, considerately left behind for other winter users who might follow, remain for the spring and summer hikers to “enjoy” once the snow is gone.

Perhaps many of these winter users clean-up their work come spring, but I strongly suspect most do not.

And the well-meaning summer hikers, especially when hiking off trail, are of course guilty of the same behavior.

The overall consequence? Accumulating strands of multi-colored plastic for everyone to enjoy. (BTW, lime green ribbons seem to be an emerging fashion.)