Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doubts about Schneider Tele-Xenar 360mm 5.5

Re: Doubts about Schneider Tele-Xenar 360mm 5.5

Given the factual realities of this specific example of a clearly molested 360mm Tele Xenar, it should be returned to the seller for a full refund.

Yet, this lens is a good example of pressing all the current market desirability buttons:

~Copal shutter.

~Vintage lens.

~Possible bargain price.

~Folks new to view camera are vulnerable to a long list of exploitable beliefs-ideas due to stuff published on the web (must be factual and true as it was found on the web).

~Newly minted view camera user is not likely going to have a lot of experience with what truly exceptional images view camera optics are capable of producing. Note this is not the same or should be accepted as lens "personality".. or as Dan would say, " Lens Abuse."

Possible the image produced on the GG is ok, question remains, does this lens perform as designed, as originally produced by Schneider circa 1950's ?

Bernice

Thanks to all for your replies. I`ve read and appreciate all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    That era of Tele-Xenar would have been in a Compound III/7, which is the same as the 300/5.6 Symmar. Overall length is given as 110mm or 111mm in a few different brochures from the 50s and 60s. The tube length of a Compound III/7 is 37 mm while the thickness of a Copal 3 is 31.5mm so there is a potential discrepancy right there.
    You have the key. I`ve tried to unscrew both cells and only get max. 106.2mm of total length. I don`t have a Compound III/7 (only a Compund IV/10 totally useless here).

I have found a table that says Compound III / 7 + 3.

What does that "+ 3" mean?
    Last edited by afotandolaciudad; 4-Jun-2021 at 06:38.

III/ 7 + 3 is a model designation. See https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-shutter-sizes

it's okay. I will ask in a different way. What is the difference between these pairs?

What is that table? Where is it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    What is that table? Where is it from?
    Friedrich W. Voigt: Schneider- Objektive fur Foto, Film und Fernsehen, Seebruck 1971.

Can you mount the lens and look through it? I use a 10X printer's loupe and really examine the glass image. Stop it down and see what happens!

I have a fairly complete collection of Tele-Xenars, and Tele-Artons, and they are all quite good. This is a 5x7 lens

BTW my clockmaker friend once told me that the most robust, and longest lasting without future problem shutters, are the air-powered Compounds.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by afotandolaciudad View Post
    I have found a table that says Compound III / 7 + 3.

What does that "+ 3" mean?
    At a guess, it means it was available in either a Compound III/7 or a Copal 3. See the one directly below it the lists a V/12 + 5FS, that would be a Compound V or a Compur-Electronic 5S.
    (edit) I guess the plus sign makes more sense if we say that it is available in both a Compound III/7 and a Copal 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    At a guess, it means it was available in either a Compound III/7 or a Copal 3. See the one directly below it the lists a V/12 + 5FS, that would be a Compound V or a Compur-Electronic 5S.
    (edit) I guess the plus sign makes more sense if we say that it is available in both a Compound III/7 and a Copal 3.
    You're right. I found in this book that "3" is the name that Mr. W. Voigt give to Compur Electronic 3. So it refers to the availability of the lens in both compound iii and compur electronic 3.

Thanks!