Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 lens recommendation for fast shutter speeds

Re: 4x5 lens recommendation for fast shutter speeds

I did a project a while back where I had to photograph Connecticut offshore lighthouses with 4x5 black and white (4x5 or larger required by HABS/HAER).
    What I used was a Crown Graphic (or might have been B&J Press camera), with the standard 127mm(?) lens.
    It was from a mid sized motorboat, so you had to hand hold the camera, and I used the sports finder (the wire frame that comes up from the lens board, where you sight through a circle on the back of the camera) Don't crop tight, you need some slack in case your framing isn't perfect.
    I used the 1/250 sec shutter speed, and f:16, if I remember right, with Tri-X 320.
    It turned out fine. Remember to shoot at least two sheets of everything.
    Here is a view of the Stratford Shoals lighthouse attached.
    Test this all before you do the real shoot.
    Insist on a relatively calm day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 2.35.18 PM copy.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	216334
    Last edited by robphoto; 1-Jun-2021 at 12:50.

(Shrek)

I hate to be the one to say this but there are areas where digital is simply better. Stopping waves and ocean spray on days with dramatic skies is one.

If you have to put on a show with your big camera, make sure you get some shots with your phone, too. Or bring a little mirrorless, I'm partial to the little Sony nex cameras.

I'd like to begin by thanking everyone for your incredible suggestions, tips and feedback - I do appreciate the contributions!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    1. Copal 0 and 1 shutters will get you where you need to be in terms of shutter speed but 4x5 and 8x10 usually require quite small f-stops for optimum depth of field so you will need to take that into account. Shooting at f5.6 or f8 in dull weather has a lot of other potential downsides.

2 Large format cameras do not fair well in the wind and are not waterproof so that needs to be considered. If you are going to use a wide angle there are more rigid options than a traditional view camera that might be worth looking at. Otherwise setting up an event shelter and shooting from that might be one way of shooting in wind and rain, or even from the boot of a 4x4?

3. It's quite likely you'll have to push your film too, so that will require some testing. If you pushed HP5 to 1600 that would give you 1/500 at f11 or 1/250 at F16 if we assume 1/500 @ f5.6 is the standard reading for a cloudy day at 400 iso. But would that yield more quality than medium format rated at 400 iso?
    Excellent suggestions - will run some tests in the upcoming weeks and follow-up with my findings

Also like your suggestions on the shelter - have used in the past for wildlife and could easily incorporated to protect LF equipment on location
    Same for film and shutter combinations - though I'm told that Nikkor SW copal 0 lenses have a good reputation for their rated speeds - any experience with these?

Quote Originally Posted by robphoto View Post
    ...I used the 1/250 sec shutter speed, and f:16, if I remember right, with Tri-X 320. It turned out fine.
    ...Remember to shoot at least two sheets of everything.
    Here is a view of the Stratford Shoals lighthouse attached.
    Test this all before you do the real shoot.
    Insist on a relatively calm day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 2.35.18 PM copy.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	216334
    Most excellent advice and tips - will run some tests this weekend as well as different film speeds and formats and report back here once I get the results

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I hate to be the one to say this but there are areas where digital is simply better. Stopping waves and ocean spray on days with dramatic skies is one.
    If you have to put on a show with your big camera, make sure you get some shots with your phone, too. Or bring a little mirrorless, I'm partial to the little Sony nex cameras.
    As this project moves along, it's become apparent that I'll need an arsenal of tools to tackle some of the more demanding scenes.
    With that said, and while I'll do my best to hold-to the medium, I have no intentions of sacrificing any potential frames for equipment - I always bring a few digital camera's with me out in the field for backup

Quote Originally Posted by SGD View Post
    The only leaf shutter to accomplish that feat is that of the Super Speed Graphic also found on the so-called “Model 1000” Top RF Speed Graphic (in actuality a top RF Crown, but went by the Speed moniker). I’ve put mine on a shutter tester and found the top speed to be shy of a true 1/1000 (closer to 1/700-1/800 depending). I believe there were two or three lenses offered with this shutter but the most common being a pretty garden variety 135mm Rodenstock.
    I have never seen, let alone tried a Speed Graphic camera personally, though I'd love to have a go at it

With that said, and unfortunately, I won't have enough time to try out any new equipment before hitting the road this summer, and so I'll need to renounce myself to my existing equipment for the first leg of the project.

PS. I do have a 6x7 camera that will do 1/1000, though I'm thinking a 6x9 or 6x12 might be better suited for the task - taking me back to a 4x5 w/120 back and 1/500 shutter
    Last edited by Esstee; 3-Jun-2021 at 08:32.

You might also find that very fast speeds on some modern cameras are too fast (like 1/4000th), where the waves look "naked" and incomplete due to the collective way we see fast moving action, so sometimes "slower" fast speeds are used to get a slight blur that looks more natural... But every scene is a little different and not always predictable... There can be a "learning curve" involved for a stream, ocean etc... Sometimes very long exposures (minutes etc) and the scene replicates the same patterns again and again with that ocean blur you see in early sea photographs, so another option...

You might be able to preview this action with a manual digital camera shooting at a range of speeds to see what shutter speed works under those conditions...

Try to practice shooting some moving water someplace (even in a fountain) to learn this tricky medium...

Steve K