I'm sure several folks on here have replaced the leather handles on wooden field cameras, so I'd like to ask for some advice on the best way to approach this.
Camera is an 8x10 Deardorff V8, and as part of the restoration, I need to remove the split rivets holding down the 2 handle brackets so I can remove the old leather handle and install a new one. Being that this is a valuable camera (to me), I'd like to do this with as little damage to the wood as possible. Some videos on Youtube show them being removed from antique trunks, but they use screwdivers to pry up the split rivet legs, with little concern for damaging the wood. I'm thinking it'll be better to drill through the center of the rivet from the bottom, then snap off the rivet head with pliers. My intent is to replace the rivets with new ones.
As far as installing the new rivets, would it suffice to install the rivets, spread the legs with a screwdriver then hammer them down flush with the wood? Is there a tool that might perform this task quicker and cleaner? Also, any recommendations for sources of rivets / tools would be welcome. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rivets1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	214315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rivets2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	214316