Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retouching Software advice needed.

Re: Retouching Software advice needed.

I don’t want to subscribe in Adobe because I prefer CaptureOne which had until recently a very clumsy retouch procedure and it’s not ideal for scans. My Luminar3 died in the process of updates for y iMac iOS’s, so I bought Photoshop Elements 11 for around 90$ or so and it gives me everything you want and was accustomed to in PS6. Not only retouching but also ‘Save for Web’, a very handy tool to get optimal image qualities with not too big files.

Many thanks to all. I have 90 days trial Affinity to see if I can learn smth, and will try Elements as well.
    Best,

Looks like Photoshop Elements do not like 16 bit depth tif files...

Sorry, but key word in this thread is "software" , gypsydog

Igor,

Yes change to Affinity. I’m using this now for several month’s and it’s works perfect for me. No more Adobe subscription.
    When you export to TIFF you can keep your layers just like Photoshop.

Just a question, are you using the healing brush directly to the "Background" layer? I would imagine that would cause some recompression, but if you do it to a new layer, it "shouldn't" impact your source layer... at least, I haven't noticed this in my use...

Another satisfied Affinity user here! Totally replaces PS for trifling things like retouching. I do my retouching on a separate layer, always.
    Can export to PS files as well, if you're in a situation where you need to send out to a printer or whoever that's still in the throes of Adobe slavery. Also, I've had no big troubles with opening my old PS files, though I found that having functions like Levels as live filters on separate layers often won't have the settings you previously used. Whether this matters to you depends on your workflow, I suppose. Not a big deal to me, because with levels it's easy to re-find the settings, since it's a largely mechanical function to set the black and white points of the scan (this is pretty much the only time I use Levels). And you lose the "Smart Object" if you had been working in PS that way, which is kind of a bummer, but no huge loss to me, since I relied on that for being able to go back and tweak Camera Raw settings, but since I now use Dxo PhotoLab for raw, that's not an issue. If you did all your PS editing work destructively, opening your old files should be painless.
    I had some big big PS files of photomontage with hundreds of raster layers, and they opened just fine in Affinity.

Hi !
    Yes, I always used healing brush directly in PS and then export retouched file to Lightroom where I "develop" it and print. Never bothered with layers..
    I'm 3 days with Affinity trial and every time I open it I feel more comfortable..

Quote Originally Posted by EBJohnson View Post
    Just a question, are you using the healing brush directly to the "Background" layer? I would imagine that would cause some recompression, but if you do it to a new layer, it "shouldn't" impact your source layer... at least, I haven't noticed this in my use...

Hi ! Thanks a lot for your answer. As I told before I develop my files in Lightroom 5 which still works under Big Sur. I used PS for cleaning my scans from dust and other imperfections only. So, I just can't justify subscription for such a monster software as PS for healing brush only. Affinity looks really nice and the price is incredible low now. So I think I will give it a serious try.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by martiansea View Post
    Another satisfied Affinity user here! Totally replaces PS for trifling things like retouching. I do my retouching on a separate layer, always.
    Can export to PS files as well, if you're in a situation where you need to send out to a printer or whoever that's still in the throes of Adobe slavery. Also, I've had no big troubles with opening my old PS files, though I found that having functions like Levels as live filters on separate layers often won't have the settings you previously used. Whether this matters to you depends on your workflow, I suppose. Not a big deal to me, because with levels it's easy to re-find the settings, since it's a largely mechanical function to set the black and white points of the scan (this is pretty much the only time I use Levels). And you lose the "Smart Object" if you had been working in PS that way, which is kind of a bummer, but no huge loss to me, since I relied on that for being able to go back and tweak Camera Raw settings, but since I now use Dxo PhotoLab for raw, that's not an issue. If you did all your PS editing work destructively, opening your old files should be painless.
    I had some big big PS files of photomontage with hundreds of raster layers, and they opened just fine in Affinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Iga View Post
    Looks like Photoshop Elements do not like 16 bit depth tif files...
    True