Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arca Swiss A Or B 8x10

Re: Arca Swiss A Or B 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Yeah, they come along once and a while. Keep looking. I search Arca [Cameras & Photo] on EBay sorted by highest priced items first. (Brings up camera stuff first, before the tons of cheap Arca tripod head stuff that's available on EBay.)

For example, I purchased a 40cm bracket with rails recently and had the bracket cut down to a 30cm size. I got two brackets out of that, the 30cm and a 10cm which can sometimes be useful. One can also have the rails cut to a customized size, and for cosmetics, paint the cut ends with black modeling paint.

I currently have a project going where I'm combining an Oschwald era (old style, like you have) black A front standard with Axial tilt with a metric Classic F rear standard on the back. S. K. Grimes is customizing bellows for me that will have the two different (old and new) frames on each end. I will also be using front and back, Oschwald era Type A (no base tilt) function carriers. This will result in a camera that will have geared rise/fall capability, combined with front axial tilts, which I prefer. Etc.

RobertsCamera is currently selling on EBay two Oschwald era, black compendium lens hoods, each of which should work with your front standard. In my view, these are the best ever made, because they have four adjustable blades that can be brought right down to the four edges of the 4x5 (or 8x10) ground glass.

Oshwald era cameras rely on seals on standards and bellows to prevent light leaks. I just purchased some 1/8" thick, black fleece fabric (JoAnn Fabrics) that I will cut into 3/16" strips that I think will work well to replace old, decayed foam seals.
    Thank you so much for all the time saving tips!

Something else for which I keep an eye peeled. As Arca Swiss shifted from Oschwald type cameras to Classic F cameras, they sometimes introduced intermediate models that have characteristics of both types of cameras.

For example, Oschwald cameras tend to have metal parts that have shiny aluminum metal parts and black plastic. I snapped up a Type A Oschwald camera for $250 that had all black painted parts, including the Type A function carriers. It's these function carriers that I'm using for my hybrid 4x5 described above.

Hi Neil thank you for your time saving tips 😊.