Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to purchase enlarger lens/s

sculptorBradP

Re: Getting ready to purchase enlarger lens/s

Thanks ic-racer! I'm making sure I know what I'm getting into before a second Durst enlarger is invested with missing parts... A Durst 138 SP 5X7 enlarger w/ CLS1000color head EST1000, but parts seem to get mentioned on initial further inquiries that are not part of the unit, or maybe might be part of the unit.... A Durst Laborator G139 + s&w Head with a 184 lower half that includes the massive foot print - then adding a double pully top half 138 SP would probably be better than a double pully wire on a top half of a normal 138 S AS A 138 SP. But that would almost be as expensive getting both and changing out parts - if possible - as a full Durst 8x10... I didn't just hit the lottery, or grandma's inheritance - so tabulating the costs, as well as is the Durst 138 SP 5X7 enlarger w/ CLS1000color head EST1000 without a Trineg for Durst 138S, without dichroic reflector for the CLS1000 - worth the investment, and also that noticeably better than a 138 S with a Durst 138 5x7 enlarger With Durst CLS 301 colorhead, TRA-301 Transformer, Cooling Blower with hose - which has all the components, and I own now.

Drew Wiley

No need for a double wire in relation to colorhead weight. It will handle a bigger head just fine. But if you want a bigger heavier baseboard, just add a supplemental dumbwaiter. I just screwed a sufficient stainless bracket to the rear of the baseboard and ran a length of aircraft cable through a pulley mounted above on the wall, and attached it on the distal end to a short section of capped ABS drain pipe with lead shot inside. Cheap, easy, and dependable.

Those hybrid 138 upper/ 184 lower units are a bitch to move. I turned down one free, complete with colorhead. Getting your back or knees repaired afterwards can cost a lot too - so there you have it. It was way down in an industrial basement with the freight elevator disconnected, and would have to be manually carried up a flight of stairs. Just getting a complete 184 with head out of there as one piece was enough hassle for me; it took six of us, and I didn't want to repeat the ordeal. And you won't get any improvement in color over a late version of CLS301 colorhead with clean filters by going newer still, though you might obtain better repeatability due to nature of the improved circuitry with feedback itself. The later carrier isn't any more accurate than a Grahal/Grane if you need pin registration repeatability, or than any ordinary Nega 138 for regular usage. And I like the easy affordable bulb availability of the CLS301.

But the ole 2000W CLS300 head, was, well er, more like owning a private nuke submarine always just about to melt down its nuclear core, and expensive to maintain. Stay clear of those.

sculptorBradP

Thank you, Drew,

Proven knowledge through experience is gold... That sums up exactly what I wanted to know, great! I have time and patience for a little less reliable repeatability with an earlier circuitry. "And you won't get any improvement in color over a late version of CLS301 colorhead with clean filters by going newer still, though you might obtain better repeatability due to nature of the improved circuitry with feedback itself. The later carrier isn't any more accurate than a Grahal/Grane if you need pin registration repeatability, or than any ordinary Nega 138 for regular usage. And I like the easy affordable bulb availability of the CLS301." Seems it would replicate a more than double to triple cost to what I already have. Also driving 4,000 plus miles car drive out and back to pick it up is not the most pleasant use of time with accidents waiting en route. What might be an issue if any with a shipment from Germany with a 138 S, or regular lighter G139 - with regular condenser head - the enlarger divided into separate 5 or 6 boxes to the USA? , - Brad

sculptorBradP

Getting six people willing to help sounds like a major accomplishment... Though I would have a difficult time turning down a free hybrid 138 upper / 184 lower. Glad to hear knees and back are intact. That injury can prove to be a bit of a distraction on just about everything.

Drew Wiley

All six of us were were pretty sore afterwards. I didn't want to risk anything more, and certainly don't want to back at 72 for the remaining unit. Three men were loaned by the lab owner himself from his construction crew, and were high pay rate employees offered to me at his own expense (we go way back - it wasn't a random gift), so the stipulation was to efficiently haul it out in one piece, no dismantling. It also had to be carried straight through a restaurant he also owned, interrupting that business, and right onto the big flatbed truck disturbing the main downtown street. The truck was also loaned, so it was quite a good deal indeed.... everything free.

Drew Wiley

Brad - container shipment from overseas would probably be obscenely expensive. Plenty of 138's turn up in the US, but require luck and patience to find clean, especially with carriers still in good condition. Replacement glass can be obtained generically, like anti-Newton from Scantech. Basic shop skills or access to a friendly machinist helps quite a bit. If you know how to laminate a Formica countertop, you can make a new baseboard if needed. Replacement bellows can be supplied by those specializing in that. Even your own carriers could be CNC made if necessary. The main components are built like a tank and are designed to be tuned up decade after decade. A squirrelly power supply to a colorhead can simply be bypassed, and the head run on direct line voltage if you have elementary continuity tester and rewiring skills. Ordinary truck wire will tolerate the heat. I wouldn't mess with worn out filters; but simply dirty ones can be cleaned if you're very gentle.

If you can afford a 138 rig already refurbished and ready to go at a mid price range, check with Glenn Evans at Glennview.com. He has several options. Chicago area, so not a horrible drive with a truck. Or perhaps he knows an affordable trucking company.

sculptorBradP

Hello Drew, Thanks again! Sounds like quite an experience on the free enlarger.... Yes, I met Glenn Evans, when I purchased a number of lenses and accessories for the Durst 138 S at his "Louis Henry Sullivan"? if I'm remembering correctly - impressive designed studio. I picked up just north of Glenn Evans studio in Lincolnshire, Illinois the Durst 138 5x7 enlarger With Durst CLS 301 colorhead, TRA-301 Transformer, Cooling Blower with hose, and also quite a few accessories for darkroom and accessories for the Durst through Ebay. Someone was ending their enlarger / darkroom setup for computer digital printing. Glenn is very impressive with his knowledge on the subject. I spent a number of hours in his studio, he was very friendly and generous. I ended up there this past mid May, renting a Chevrolet Express 15 seat passenger vehicle with the seats taken out - from Baltimore to Chicago. I intended to drive a regular cheaper rental standard van, but it was totaled right before my rental pickup booking. So the only vehicle available pretty much within 50 miles was this Chevrolet Express fifteen seat. It was rented for the same amount as a discounted sale rent that the van had as a replacement on my option - about $420.00 including all the milage, but not the gas I purchased for the drive.

sculptorBradP

Hello Drew, Actually a shipment from overseas is usually cheaper than a van or car rental to pickup within the USA. A vendor for Linhof restorations mentioned the same as European shipment costs are incredibly cheaper than originating from USA domestic USA costs - even the cheaper options... A credit card with differed costs payments is also a reason I'm not looking at some vendors purchase that rightly want cash.

Drew Wiley

A 138 will easily fit in an ordinary pickup, or even perhaps in a car if dismantled into several sections (generally easy to do - they were made that way), certainly the average SUV would handle them. Don't you have a vehicle of your own? Know any Thelma and Louise types eager for a quick trip out of town? Their convertible would do. And if something went wrong, at least someone might find a free enlarger at the bottom of a Southwestern canyon.

sculptorBradP

Yes, I would take Gena Davis wherever she wants, as well as a long trip down the Southwestern Canyon - at least in good company... Still looking into Dichroic missing part for the Durst 138 SP 5X7 enlarger w/ CLS1000color head EST1000 ... It would still be a good second enlarger for alternate 8x10 capable head, and if the missing parts came through - at least another option. I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder 4 door. Already measured all the parts that can separate out - seems possible from my measurements with various Starrett over sized 6 foot and smaller calipers for life-models that pose for my sculpture, and over-sized slide rulers. The seller seems a good person - well intentioned. The bit suggested about a fire hazard though without the Dichroic part behind the light certainly caught my attention. I bought an 1890s larger town house in Baltimore that is just waiting for the chance to catch fire.