Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SP-445 sticker / glue removal

Re: SP-445 sticker / glue removal

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Have you asked the company that applied the sticker in the first place?
    Mine didn't have this. I wonder, was it purchased directly from Stearman Press, or through a retailer like Freestyle? Maybe they put it a sticker on the ones sold through other vendors? I bought mine directly from Stearman to make sure he maximized his profit on it. Their online shop works fine.

wd40

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Called Kerosene in the US
    Thanks, didn’t know if. :-)
    Best regards

Hans

“Goof Off” (not joking on the name) is a solvent made specifically for removing stickers, adhesives and such.

Quote Originally Posted by martiansea View Post
    Mine didn't have this. I wonder, was it purchased directly from Stearman Press, or through a retailer like Freestyle? Maybe they put it a sticker on the ones sold through other vendors? I bought mine directly from Stearman to make sure he maximized his profit on it. Their online shop works fine.
    Mine was directly from them, a few years ago. They may or may not have changed this since.

Goo Gone on a paper towel will remove it without desolving your plastic into a gooey mess.

Sorry, we had no idea the stickers were causing an issue! In fact, we have trouble with them falling off during our inspection! I suppose after sitting in a warehouse, the adhesive bonds tighter.

We'll start putting them on the bubble bags or find a non-stick label.

Not sure the best way to remove them but DO NOT use anything with acetone in it. If it's too late and you've already damaged the finish, email us. We'll get you a replacement tank.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Not sure if this is an option or not, but the home canning business (Ball jars is the one I use) has water-soluble labels. They stick to the glass jars, last a long time as long as they are dry, and wash off quickly with just water.

BTW: the sticker on my tank practically fell off somewhere between your shop and my home.

Quote Originally Posted by tim48v View Post
    Sorry, we had no idea the stickers were causing an issue! In fact, we have trouble with them falling off during our inspection! I suppose after sitting in a warehouse, the adhesive bonds tighter.

We'll start putting them on the bubble bags or find a non-stick label.

Not sure the best way to remove them but DO NOT use anything with acetone in it. If it's too late and you've already damaged the finish, email us. We'll get you a replacement tank.
    Thanks folks for all your suggestions - didn't expect so many And thanks Tim for chiming in and even offering a replacement in case of damager, that's awesome!

I ordered cleaning petrol here [1] but did not receive it yet - not sure if the link is visible outside Germany, it is cleaning petrol and seems to be suitable. I'll check if it contains acetone. People posted positive reviews on removing glue rests, also from laminated surfaces, so I assume it should be OK. I'll try very gently with microscopic area first and see if it does any damage.

Earlier I tried hot bathing the tank in water + rubbing, many times. No chance.

[1] https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B079BQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT. Actually I just noticed that it says "for solvent resistant synthetic materials", so if the finish is not solvent-resistent, it will probably damage it...

FINAL UPDATE: I used cleaning petrol to remove the glue traces. Tank finish is not solvent-resistent, so now the cleaned area is silky smooth Though that is not a big deal, because the finish got rubbed off anyway in various locations of the tank, e.g. in places where it is held by hand during agitation etc. I thank again Tim for offering the replacement, but I am happy with mine. After all, for me it's a functional tool, not a beauty object, and it works very well

Finally, wanted to share one more unrelated tip which I did not read about anywhere before. When only single negative is loaded into the holder (e.g. for single-negative processing), then there is very high risk that negative parts will rub against and jump off the holding brackets during development (agitation). Emulsion will be damaged on the edges of negatives. Solution is to always have two negatives in the holder, e.g. using "dummy" film sheet. This way negative will seat properly in the holder and won't be damaged. It took some time and a few damaged negatives to figure that out. I think it deserves to be in the instructions manual, as SP-445 is probably the best available (most compact and economic) tank for single-negative development.