Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silverfast SE vs. Full ...and again the Epson 4990

Silverfast SE vs. Full ...and again the Epson 4990

David,

Does the Silverfast SE version allow making a profile of the scanner? Does the native Epson driver? Do either allow for the Silverfast multisampling option?

I think the answer is no for all three questions. You will need to profile the scanner and may need to use multisampling to control noise (although that is even more money -- $50 or so I think).
    John Hennessy

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

John, as far as know, SE doesn't come with a profiler, nor is there one in the 'non-pro' 4990 bundle. I'm not sure about multisampling.

Another question: Is the bundled profiler for the purpose of profiling the scanner, or your monitor?

A darkroom's looking better and better..!

My experience is not a typical if you cruise forums on scanning. The problems we encounter are not unusual in the slightest. The difference is that we do far more scanning than most people and wear out scanners faster or detect flaws sooner than most people. Plus since we are doing scanning for high-end national magazines and my museum exhibits we are allot pickier about results than most posters here.

When I first started scanning with an Epson 32oo and 4870 I used the Epson Scan software and thought it worked great. Silverfast was allot more difficult to figure out. As my business became more and more scanning dependent and I had a few hundred scans under my belt, my standards became higher, and I came to find the Epson scan software very limiting. When I started working on the scans for my last retrospective exhibit my standards got even higher. We now run 4 scanners, two Epson 4990's, one Nikon 8000 and a Microtek 1800f (+ I have access to an Imacon 949). I have also tested extensively Canon 9950f's Imacon 646s and 848s and Vuescan software. For me there is no substitute for the full version of Silverfast and I prefer it for all scanners (I wish it was avaialble for the Imacons). There are two little tricks with single pass multisampling and downresing tiff files that Vuescan does that is really cool but the rest of the program is downright primitive. SF is the only real professional software out there for the flatbeds. One small example Digital Ice in Sf is more effectice than in any other software, because they run a different algorithm to drive it. And SF is cheap if you buy it in a package deal. This is a totally uncompensated endorsement. You may find Epson Scan "adequate" for your needs. I do not.

Notes:

1)The profiling software that comes in the package is just for the scanner. It works quite well but is only for color transparencies. Otherwise you have to use their packaged profiles.

2) Silverfast SE does have the muti-sampling multi-pass alignment feature in it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks for your feedback Kirk, especially the additional notes.

At $519 with free shipping, the 'pro' version 4990 from NewEgg looks like a winner.

Assuming we've pretty much counted out the MicroTek i800 in comparison to the 4990...

"Yes, but you forgot one thing, Brian - if you take a faulty unit back to a brick & mortar store, you can go straight back home with a replacement, not have to wait another 1-2 weeks! "

So the local stores you deal with have everything in stock all the time? You must live in a different area of the country than I do.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Assuming we've pretty much counted out the MicroTek i800 in comparison to the 4990...

Just curious - did anybody test Microtek i900 and how does it compare to Epson? Kirk, you tested a lot of scanners, it is fairly obvious that you like 4990 and 1800f, but I don't think you ever mentioned this one... I think it'd be an interesting comparison because it seems to be in the same category as Epson 4990, both price wise and feature wise (on paper).

To be honest, this is a bit more than just idle curiosity, as I am also contemplating a decent flatbed, and nothing beats first-hand experience if anybody can offer it.

Thanks in advance,

Brian, I guess I'm lucky as far as my location in the SF bay area, but I get your drift - the CompUSA near me currently has only the 'non-pro' 4990 in stock (at $449 plus tax), and would have to special order the 'pro' at $599 + tax (Right there is the deal breaker.)

I daresay that if I looked around I could find a retailer with the 'pro' version, and I'd hope more than one of them in stock...

But, after further positive feedback here on the scanner, and your tip about NewEgg.com, I'm ready to go mail order.

Thanks all.

There is one other added item in the pro version, and that's monaco color management. If you don't have color management already, it's the only way to go. I already had monaco on my system, but I did consider the upgrade to full SF, even at $90.00 to be worth it. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the pro and let my friend have the color management on the cheap.

Brian no I have not. My current set up works well and I don't test for the hell of it but to solve problems or upgrade. There have not been rave reviews that I have seen anyway. So unless there is some hint that it is better than what I have I won't bother.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

And for some reason SF for the i900 does not support Digital Ice which is important to us for commercial scans.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: