Thread: Ilex Caltar 14 3/4 - filter options?

Question Ilex Caltar 14 3/4 - filter options?

Hello,

I have a nice Caltar 14 3/4 which I'd like to use filters with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210213_132408.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	212618

I think the original option could have been a series filter/adapter, but can not find any specification. Measured the O.D of the front cell and is 84.3 mm. This I think is bigger than a Commercial Ektar 14' which used series IX filters.

There is a thread in the front cell as well, with a 75.3 mm diameter, so maybe 77 mm filters would fit?

Anybody has better info or even a better idea using modern filters - ie, can I adapt somehow a lee filter holder to it?

Re: Ilex Caltar 14 3/4 - filter options?

I'd contact SK Grimes and see what filters/adaptors he may suggest. Please post for those who may have that lens.

tach,

The 14 3/4" Caltar was my first 8X10 lens, but I don't think I ever used filters with it and soon replaced it with a 355mm G Claron. One approach I have used successfully on several lenses has been to use a step-up ring to a common filter size. If I can find a close drop-in fit, I glue it in place with black RTV. In other cases, where the step-up won't drop in, or might be cross threaded, I file down the male threads until it fits and then seal it in place with RTV. This mod is non-destructive, and although the filter ring is held in as securely as ever needed, it can still be removed without damage to the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by tach View Post
    Hello,

I have a nice Caltar 14 3/4 which I'd like to use filters with.

Name:	20210213_132408.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	212618

Anybody has better info or even a better idea using modern filters - ie, can I adapt somehow a lee filter holder to it?
    Tach, one trick I learned from my friend Jay Dusard, when i was using a 90 superangulon XL on a 4x10.... You can make a simple holder by cutting a hole in a small square piece of foam core mounting board. Then you glue a gel filter on the front. These holders slip on the lens with a friction fit & last almost forever. They have the advantage of being very thin, so vignetting is not a problem.

Good idea!

I will do that
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Tach, one trick I learned from my friend Jay Dusard, when i was using a 90 superangulon XL on a 4x10.... You can make a simple holder by cutting a hole in a small square piece of foam core mounting board. Then you glue a gel filter on the front. These holders slip on the lens with a friction fit & last almost forever. They have the advantage of being very thin, so vignetting is not a problem.
    That's a very clever idea!

Hi all, many thanks for the suggestions. I was aware of skgrimes, but was leaving it as my last resort, as I'm in Ireland, and customs, VAT, shipping, add up. At least have a fallback options, if other things do not pan out as well.

I managed to source some images from the 1970s Calumet catalog; it seems that effectively it uses a series 9 filter. It even gives a product code for the adapter, 85SS9, probably unobtainable by now.

I'll try to source a push adapter for the outside cell diameter, 85mm, while doing some bricolage meanwhile.

Name:	calumet_2_25.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	212641

According to Calumet every Caltar of this generation is a 4 element lens - it doesn't jive with some rumors I read that the 14 3/4 Caltar is a triplet.

Name:	calumet_2_33.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	212642