Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reveni spot meter

Re: Reveni spot meter

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    Can you explain the P.M.M, please.
    It uses his technique to precicely place values where you want them, vs where they fall on the zone system. A typed explination beyond that wouldn't do his online class justice and would cause more confusion honestly. I was a skeptic and fully prepared to ask for my money back when i purchased his metering course, but I really believe that particular course was worth the money. I can't speak for his other classes.

I have never used a stand-alone spot meter and am looking forward to adding this to my "tool kit". I own the Reveni and have found it consistent with other meters. I am confident in the developer's work and believe that this will be a great product as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I'm currently using Matt's teeny "sugar cube" meter with my MF folders and the whole stop readout isn't an issue for me. When I take a reading I watch the EV value displayed just prior to the measurement which tells me if the meter rounded up or down. If I know it rounded up, based on the EV readout, then I know that if I use the shutter/aperture shown I'll effectively be under-exposing my image slightly. Therefore, I'll tweak the aperture to compensate. Conversely, if it rounded down, then I go the other way. Working this way is close enough for B&W or color neg film, but probably not precise enough for transparency film. Since I shoot primarily B&W, it works great for me.
    (But the basic idea is that technology serves people, not the other way around, right? - What is the problem with writing a complete ISO scale into the software? This will take a minute.)

UPDATE: the inventor writes on Kickstarter that he would implement the ISO scale in thirds. This is very good news! I think it's very nice that the users can get involved in the process and express their needs. This will be a useful product, I think. I would recommend you: check it out, maybe you have some ideas, share them with the inventor.

Quote Originally Posted by f9likethekey View Post
    It uses his technique to precicely place values where you want them, vs where they fall on the zone system. A typed explination beyond that wouldn't do his online class justice and would cause more confusion honestly. I was a skeptic and fully prepared to ask for my money back when i purchased his metering course, but I really believe that particular course was worth the money. I can't speak for his other classes.
    Sorry, but this sounds like Umberto Eco to me, unlimited semiosis, hermeticism, the pendulum of Foucault. In the zone system, you place the values, too, to prevent them from falling. Perhaps you place structured shadows in III, Caucasian skin types in VI, and when the highlights fall in IX, you place them in VIII through N-1 development. Is P.M.M really more intuitive? I just don't understand the P.M.M. - Is there any free documentation?

(But the basic idea is that technology serves people, not the other way around, right?
    In a perfect world, yes! My iPhone, for example, does things that drives me absolutely bonkers and I'm left wondering why (after having been a software developer most of my adult life) it was designed that way. And, it's not just technology! But, I'm not going down this rabbit hole. It sounds like Matt's meters are not for you. Fair enough. Buy something that works for you.

In a perfect world, yes! My iPhone, for example, does things that drives me absolutely bonkers and I'm left wondering why (after having been a software developer most of my adult life) it was designed that way. And, it's not just technology! But, I'm not going down this rabbit hole. It sounds like Matt's meters are not for you. Fair enough. Buy something that works for you.
    Surely not. Of course, this wonderful device is extraordinarily interesting. I was looking for such a thing for years.

Especially if you were a software developer, you will know that a full ISO scale is no problem at all. It's just a matter of writing some numbers into the source code. Which is what Matt is doing now. Children are learning this at school right now, with an Arduino. Where is the problem?

My question about how exactly P.M.M. works, on the other hand, was not answered yet. Is it a trade secret? Where is the problem to explain something in five sentences so that others can understand it? Why shouldn't Matt's exposure meter be for me just because you don't explain P.M.M. to me?

hmmm...might consider this if it could be mounted onto the hotshoes of my Fuji/Voigtlander 667's. Actually, given the small size and light weight...a shoe mount should be an option I think, applicable for doing hand held work with RF's, and/or "point and shoot" LF's.

Sorry, but this sounds like Umberto Eco to me, unlimited semiosis, hermeticism, the pendulum of Foucault. In the zone system, you place the values, too, to prevent them from falling. Perhaps you place structured shadows in III, Caucasian skin types in VI, and when the highlights fall in IX, you place them in VIII through N-1 development. Is P.M.M really more intuitive? I just don't understand the P.M.M. - Is there any free documentation?
    Free documentation, not that I'm aware of. If your metering technique works well for you then I wouldn't bother changing it around. The zone system and I had a rocky relationship so I was in search of something I could work with easier.

I'll also add, that I'm not trying to be obtuse, but it really comes down to picking your values and placing them. It doesn't deal with shadows or zones or any of that, you pick a metering spot and value it on a scale. I found it was more intiutive (for me) than working with zones. It is not drastically different from zones, just a better (again, for me) way of wraping my head around metering light. I also don't have any association with Nick Carver other than being a happy customer.

My question about how exactly P.M.M. works, on the other hand, was not answered yet. Is it a trade secret? Where is the problem to explain something in five sentences so that others can understand it? Why shouldn't Matt's exposure meter be for me just because you don't explain P.M.M. to me?
    It's my understanding that the new spot meter manual will have enough of an explanation of P.M.M. that you'll be able to use it, if so desired. I doubt that you'd find anyone willing to reveal full details of P.M.M. out of respect for Nick's hard work putting together his course. If you need to understand P.M.M. before investing in Matt's meter, then wait for production units to get into the hands of other photographers and I'm sure someone will comment about it. Or...you could buy Nick's course.

I doubt that you'd find anyone willing to reveal full details of P.M.M. out of respect for Nick's hard work putting together his course. If you need to understand P.M.M. before investing in Matt's meter, then wait for production units to get into the hands of other photographers and I'm sure someone will comment about it. Or...you could buy Nick's course.
    +100