I have an Ebony RWS 45 that I bought many years ago that’s now been dusted off and ready to go shoot. However, I noticed that the rear standard seems to be slightly loose, meaning when the bellows are extended the wood seems to droop slightly down, creating an angle (imperceptible to the eye) compared to the front standard, and introducing some play in the camera. The wood hasn’t been damaged and the titanium parts work just fine with no loose screws. I am wondering whether it’s something to worry about in terms of the focus place, or whether these small variances are to be expected with wooden field cameras? This is my only LF camera so I have little experience to go on.

I can of course always check that everything is okay on the ground glass, however since I shoot a lot of architecture, it would be great to know whether the camera was level just be using the spirit levels when setting up and not have to worry too much about an accidental rear tilt (however minor) changing the perspective.

Ebony doesn’t exist anymore so I cannot ask them. Will contact Robert White but thought I would ask here first. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.