Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Re: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

The 1971 Bus was the best year and model to own for many reasons. I had one

This link tells exactly why https://web2.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/VW/VWBus.html

Basically upgraded from a good design, but not compromised by later complications making it much harder to repair

Mine could go 90 and go anywhere offroad

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Just remembered my 1971 VW type 2 bus. Had the weekender package. Except for the fog lamps it was stock on the outside with the original stock engine. Inside had a lot of practical renovations. Drove it on some 4WD back roads without any problems. Driving it down Rt 95 with a gusty crosswind a problem. Had a lot of "hidden" compartments for photo equipment storage. When crossing the border from Canada to the USA one time was pulled over and spent hours as 2 border guards "inspected" the bus. Looked into acquiring one again probably 3 years ago, and the one I liked was going for 30K plus. Ended up acquiring a beautifully restored '79 Bug convertible for half that price. Don't go road camping with it, but for one day road excursions. Park on the side of the road here in New England with the 11x14 view camera set up near it and it's a sure bet that passers by will stop.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by rich caramadre View Post
    Vaughn, It looks like the mini van you sons used has a separate roof mounted tent. Out Honda Element has a clam shell type top built onto it like your Euro van. I can open and access from inside. Everything has it's pros and cons. My favorite pro with this is not pulling in well after dark and having to set up a tent. I park and can be in my sleeping bag in less than 2 minutes.
    My current Eurovan has a top like yours. On my own, I keep the bed made downstairs and I will pop the top if I want to throw stuff up there to keep it out of the way...usually I keep it down. Waking up in the morning to snow (Lee Vining Creek), or 70 mph wind gusts (Death Valley), it is sometimes easier that way...and for quick get-aways. But traveling with my three boys it was two up, with me and one boy 'downstairs'. I slept up there once with one boy, and two down, but I'm just too big to be comfortable.

The roof-top tent in Chile was billed as 4 person, but just fit the three of us without being too close. If I was traveling/camping in the Outback (Australia, not the car), I would consider a rooftop tent for practical reasons over pitching a tent on the ground. I have camped there in a car using a backpacking tent, so it is not like sleeping in Montana in a tent with your bacon in an icebox at your feet. I mean, you can do that in Oz...ya never know who might show up for a beer!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The RV and Boat shows are starting for the season

Big RV show this weekend near me, kinda fun to look at all the gear, I am not attending

I prefer boat shows which I attended a lot in winter in Chicago as it was a way to be in huge heated space with sails set

I like sail boats and still dream of building a bigger boat than last time, Wooden Boat mag is another way to dream, this latest issue features an Improved fishing boat design upgraded from Hemingway's boat, Maybe NOT better...

A HS friend became a top sailmaker for North Sails Annapolis. He loves it as he proves his sales with paid racing
    Tin Can

Tin Can

All the US Mail delivery vans are scheduled for replacement soon, and will probably be available cheap as surplus.
    Might be fertile ground for a DIY'er if you don't mind the steering wheel being on the opposite side.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    All the US Mail delivery vans are scheduled for replacement soon, and will probably be available cheap as surplus.
    Might be fertile ground for a DIY'er if you don't mind the steering wheel being on the opposite side.
    Are you implying that they are right hand drive?

Interesting if this is so.

Mick.

All USPS route delivery trucks are RHD

I drove many as a teenager

They are all beat to death and best as scrap
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    All USPS route delivery trucks are RHD
    I drove many as a teenager
    They are all beat to death and best as scrap
    When I was in college in the early 1970s I was a part time postman and drove one almost daily. Drove them standing up with the gas being a lever/petal that was to the left of your right foot. To give it gas you'd rotate the front or your foot to the left. No seat belts at the time or if there were any, none of us could use them while standing up. Secret was to slightly bend one's knees to absorb the bumps. They were great in snow because of their higher clearance and the USPS put 4 thin but oversized snow tires on them come the fall. True most (hovering very close to all) are run to within an inch of their death, but some actually saw little daily service and around here the USPS serviced all their vehicles regularly. When I got my Gov't license, I was road tested during rush hour. First time I ever drove a RHD standing up no less. Examiner's only comment was that I drove too slow and was too careful!!! A friend found one that was in excellent condition and bought it. No such luck on my part... have looked at several FS over the years and they were all either on their last legs mechanically or rusted out from the salt that they use on the roads here in New England. He converted it into a mini-camper. As I remember he said it was an easy project because the back was pretty much gutted out as he got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Are you implying that they are right hand drive?

Interesting if this is so.

Mick.
    That makes it easier for the mailman to drop mail into mailboxes without having to get out of the truck or move from the driver's seat on the right. So he can drive from home to home quickly and more efficiently. How do they do it in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Sell them in Australia.