I was way back at the hot springs in Saline Valley before it became a remote hippie hangout. Had venisons steaks cooking atop a Coleman stove by moonlight while I was in the hot spring; but a coyote walked right up and pulled one right off the hot grill. Then I found a flat spot on nearby clay to set down my mat and sleeping bag; but around dawn I was darn near trampled to death by a braying herd of wild donkeys. After hunting for red volcanic lava bombs atop what later became known as "hippie hill", we headed back out and broke an oil pan on those horrible washboard roads, a long, long ways from anywhere. Managed to plug the hole with sticks and toilet paper and sap. ... long story, plenty more misadventure. Ran into a Navy Seal paratrooper training doing practice search and rescue back there, but they never did find one of their own guys! That didn't bode well. But when we finally did make it back to a paved road, we learned the only two tow trucks in the entire vast county were themselves broken down somewhere. Permanently patched the hole with some epoxy putty obtained in Bishop. Kids do dumb things, and I was certainly once included in that category. Now I've graduated into the "adults do dumb things" category instead.