Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Show Your Compendium Shade on a Field Camera Thread...

Re: Show Your Compendium Shade on a Field Camera Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    For some recent discussion about the Lee hood, and a video about the current version, see posts 12, 13, 19 and 20 in the thread Internal Bellows Reflections.
    Mine is the original standard version. I've used it on lenses as wide as 90mm with good effect. The only slight niggle is if you need to use grad filters at the same time this dictates the orientation of the hood as well, which may not match you chosen image orientation. In practice though I haven't found this to be a problem (yet, anyway). I see the newer version gets arounds this issue, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Mine is the original, non wide angle version. I've used it on lenses as wide as 90mm with good effect. The only slight niggle is if you need to use grad filters at the same time this dictates the orientation of the hood as well, which may not match you chosen image orientation. In practice though I haven't found this to be a problem (yet, anyway).
    The new Lee100 holder lets you rotate the hood and holder independently. That may address the orientation issue that you mention. See 00:50 and following of this video. David Noton rotates the hood while using a graduated neutral density filter:

The new Lee100 holder lets you rotate the hood and holder independently. That may address the orientation issue that you mention. See 00:50 and following of this video:
    Thanks, I watched this and edited my original post before refreshing the page and seeing this reply.

Definitely a nice feature to have, but as I said I haven't encountered a situation with the original where it has caused a problem. It certainly wouldn't be enough to make me buy the whole system again, but if you already have the newer system it makes sense. The hood is expensive, but definitely worth the money IMO. Another benefit of it is it protects the lens/filters from spray, rain etc, as he mentions. I was recently photographing in the Peak District in more or less constant drizzle, and I found this feature invaluable.

One issue I'm encountering at the moment is my Lee resin grads are all getting discoloured with age, and need replacing. Rather than buying resin grads again and facing the same problem down the road, I want to get tempered glass grads instead. That section of the filter market has exploded in recent years, with many companies now offering superb quality glass grads (at high cost, of course). The problem with those though is that they are heavier and ever so slightly thinner than the Lee grads, so I've found the holder does not hold them securely and they slowly sink through the rails. I'm still trying to find a solution to this, but that's another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    if you already have the newer system it makes sense. The hood is expensive, but definitely worth the money IMO. Another benefit of it is it protects the lens/filters from spray, rain etc, as he mentions. I was recently photographing in the Peak District in more or less constant drizzle, and I found this feature invaluable.
    I have the new Lee100 holder, and at least one European dealer sells the Lee100 hood at a better price, including shipping, than the U.S. price ($343). I have a compendium shade for my Arca-Swiss camera, but I'm seriously considering the Lee100 hood.

Further to posts 30 to 34, Joe Cornish talks about Lee's former lens hood design at 13:45 of this 2015 video. Unlike the current Lee100 hood, the lens hood can't be rotated independently of a filter. That can be an issue with a rectangular graduated neutral density filter, although @Gabe says above that he hasn't run into the problem as a practical matter. As someone who has a Lee square linear polariser, I do think it's clear from Cornish's demonstration that it is unusable with the old style of hood. No doubt that's why he talks about Lee's round polariser and its attachment:

On its website, Lee says this about using the new hood with wide angle lenses: "The LEE100 Hood has a wide angle of view and can be used with two filters down to 28mm (full frame sensor) without vignetting. At half extension it can be used at approx. 20mm."

Re price (post #34), I've determined that a Lee100 hood can be obtained in the U.S. for about US$290 including shipping. Not inexpensive, but better than B&H.
    Last edited by r.e.; 9-Nov-2021 at 07:16.

I have a compendium shade for my Arca-Swiss camera, but I'm seriously considering the Lee100 hood.
    I expect to receive a Lee100 hood on Friday. I'll post my impressions after trying it out over the weekend. I got the attached one-page PDF, which doesn't appear to be on Lee's own site, from the vendor's site.

Lee100 Hood Specs

Lee_filters_lens_hood_LEE100_Hood_Specs_a4235.pdf

I have a compendium hood for my Mamiya RB67 MF camera with four lenses. But frankly, I rarely use it. It's just a pain in the neck to set up, attach, etc. I haven't noticed the difference over the years. I really shouldn't be so lazy. Now I have a 4x5 with four lenses. No hood. Plus if I get one, it will be harder to use because of movements. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Applying a “flare factor” would indeed be arcane, approximate at best (since you can’t measure it in the field), and wouldn’t really do much anyway. You can’t really compensate for flare via exposure/development.
    Of course this thread is about internal reflections that do not fall diffusely on the image. But a diffuse reflection would indeed be called 'flare.' This can be easily measured with a can or box in which the inside is painted black. This can be placed in an outdoor scene. Measure the inside of the box with your meter and then measure the density on film.
    Compare this with a step wedge exposed with a sensitometer.
    For example, expose the inside of the box at Zone 0 and look at your sensitometer-exposed 21 step film and measure the density two steps (one stop) below your 0.1 log d step.
    Compare that to the density you get from your 'black box' exposure. Make sure the black box fills an area on the film that will allow measurement (5mm or so, depending on your densitometer reticle).

Years ago, I made a lens hood from an empty Tri-X 100 sheet box. After one glass of wine, it’s too complicated to explain, but it involved using the inner, middle and outer box lids to fashion a poor man’s bellows lens hood. It attached to the lens with an appropriate lens step-up ring.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

On a Toyo MII:

Same hood on a Toyo Robos

Thomas