My ultimate goal is to thoroughly understand the process of scanning B&W film, processing it, and making inkjet prints. I've been reading a lot about color spaces, and much of what I can find is super-technical, or just compares the gamuts of different spaces, neither of which has been particularly helpful to my understanding. The following are my impressions and questions so far - please tell me where I might be thinking correctly and where I am in error.

* A digital photograph or a scan is a file containing a bunch of numerical information about the color (or tones) in the image. The scanner (or scanning software?) or camera attaches a color space to that numerical information?

* The color space allows software and a monitor to interpret the numerical information in such a way that the image appears "correctly" on the monitor?

* I have the impression that some software could take an image with one color space attached and output the image with a different color space?

* Processing software might change the color space to some other color space (the "working space") for the purposes of editing? I use Lightroom, and have the impression that might be the case with it, that it works in ProPhoto RGB?

I think that is the end of part 1...