Thread: Using my LF as an enlarger

Using my LF as an enlarger

I am setting up my LF 5x7 camera, a Alfred Buchner Rabeneau, as an enlarger. I am following the detailed instructions from Angel Adams in The Print. I removed the ground glass in order to use the film holder as a negative holder. I am then using two pieces of 5x7 glass for the negative holder. Does anyone have any suggestions to hold the negative instead of glass, it is difficult to manage and line up properly.

Re: Using my LF as an enlarger

Here is the mine, too rare to find Saltzman

I bought from Glennview and he had a while

Saltzman 5X7 Glassless by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

I'd think glass would be the best way to hold the negative. What is the exact problem? Getting the negative centered on the glass?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'd think glass would be the best way to hold the negative. What is the exact problem? Getting the negative centered on the glass?
    Yes, the negative slips ever so slightly as i am placing it in the camera and at that point i can’t re-position it without taking it out and trying again. Perhaps more practice then.

Are you using some method to clamp the glass together. In these Durst glass carriers, there are two sliders on the sides that lock the thing shut. Then it can be placed vertical and the negative has never moved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horizontal.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	210388

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Durst Carriers.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	210387

Clamping is good...but, if you have trouble clamping tightly enough - you can measure carefully and stick some thin tape (needs to be no thicker than film thickness) to the piece of glass on which you first lay the film prior to moving it to the vertical orientation. With the bottom edge of the film in contact with the tape...the film won't shift downwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghirardini View Post
    Yes, the negative slips ever so slightly as i am placing it in the camera and at that point i can’t re-position it without taking it out and trying again. Perhaps more practice then.
    Interesting... I made a negative carrier for my 8x10 camera many years ago that replaces the removable part of the rear standard and uses two sheets of standard window glass to hold the negative. There are two brass screws with washers on each of the long sides that I snug down, once the negative is in place. I have never had the negative move even after clipping the holder on to the camera. This probably doesn't help you, but I thought it may be useful.

With my 4*5 i use magnet vinyl holders to hold negative. Plan to make those in 6*9, 6*12 and 13*18. I also use camera as enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by vnukov_pk View Post
    With my 4*5 i use magnet vinyl holders to hold negative. Plan to make those in 6*9, 6*12 and 13*18. I also use camera as enlarger.
    Please show this holder! I plan to use my 8x10" Linhof Kardan for 5x7" and 8x10"

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

It is two crude 4*5frames from magnet vinyl taped together. Simple.